This is for a college paper

Here is my question should the doctor be able to assist in the suicide of a person who is terminally ill or suffering from a painful disease?

please leave your opinions, no fighting....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Wasn't there a Dr. Kahvorkian who already did that? You may want to google him.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:51 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Maybe they could point the person in the right direction and let them do it themselves.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I think they should. If someone is terminally ill or suffering greatly, they may be unable to do it themselves, or with minimal discomfort, even if they are "pointed in the right direction." Safeguards can be enacted to make sure that multiple witnesses agree that the person's wishes are being carried out.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:56 PM on May. 12, 2009

• IMO,Terminally ill,,YES.. Painful disease, NO..That's what pain medication is for.

Answer by louise2 at 3:57 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't think so. This is just my opinion, but I do not believe that we have the right to kill anyone, and I also believe that suicide in any case is wrong. This is fully due to my religious beliefs, and some people may criticize that but that is my opinion.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:19 PM on May. 12, 2009

• 100% yes. And I don't feel it's so black & white as to be a terminal vs non-terminal issue. There are people who are in a great deal of pain from diseases that are not terminal who are condemned to a life of pain and/or being incapacitated. My biggest fear is to be "locked" inside a body that doesn't work - having my mind be fine but trapped in a body that won't work. In that scenario, I would want assisted suicide. It's a quality of life issue.

We will put down a dog that is suffering and in pain, but not a human who begs for the same kindness. There is something very wrong with that.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 4:25 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Because some look at it this way of course humans are more valuable then animals and they hope for improvement or a miracle to happen.Also as one poster here they believe it is Gods call and nobody elses.Of course there are legal actions one can take in case they ever end up in certain situations.
    Anonymous

• It depends. Do they have any mental history? If there is a mental illness involved, how do we know their wishes are actually what they want? Thats my only problem with it.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:17 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes, it's called "informed consent," and I think you should be able to have an assisted suicide if you are in right mind and deemed to be terminally ill.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think they should be allowed. Why are we allowed to put aminals "out of their misery" but not people. My uncle took my aunt off life support. I think it was the most caring this he could have done for her. It's an exreme situation once life support is involved, but if your quality of life no longer exists, why should you be forced to exist just because your heart is still beating?
    Anonymous