infant car seat placement w/a toddler booster seat already in car

ok well i have a 3 yr old and next week will have my lil man. so i just wanted some opinions on what is easier. the infant seat will not fit in the middle seat w/the booster next to it so middle isn't an option. so which is easier behind the driver or the passenger. i'm thinking behind driver, that way if it's just me i can grab him and his carrier can go on the ground or i can hold him while she gets out, whereas if it were the other way around she could run off while i'm getting him, that way i don't have to walk around the car twice just to get them out. and that way whoever is driving doesn't get kicked by her every 2 mins...so any other ideas/reasoning that it would be easier the other way? i don't want to install the seat and have to reinstall it in a month b/c its not working so just want other mommies opinions

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 4:07 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Personally I would put the baby on the passengers side, that way if you have to stop to give baby passy or deal with him in anyway, you can just stop and reach back there. If hes behind you, then you cant. But then you have the other child kicking your seat...so theres pros and cons to everything.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:09 PM on May. 12, 2009

• oh i forgot to mention i drive a jeep grand cherokee, i wouldn't be able to reach him if i needed to hand him anything w/o actually stopping and unbuckling anyways, that is what my girlfriend suggested as well until she realized it wouldn't work that way in my car.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:12 PM on May. 12, 2009

• The main thing to think about is how often you parallel park. When you park on a curb, you have to get out of the car on the traffic side. You will then be either getting an active preschooler out on the traffic side too or will be lifting the baby out into traffic. If you parallel park a lot, I'd say put your baby behind the driver and the preschooler behind the passenger. That way your preschooler can wait for you on the curb while you get the baby or can wait in the car while you lift out the baby and walk to the curb yourself. If you never parallel park, then I don't think it really matters.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:36 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Hmm... first off.. a 3yr old has no business in a booster. Try the Graco Nautilus... its 150 and will harness to 65lbs. Much safer. I would put the baby on the passenger side. That way you can reach back and tend to him.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 4:48 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I would put the toddler in the booster behind the driver seat and the infant carrier (or rear facing carseat) behind the passenger seat.

BUT..that's because I drive with the seat all the way back and a rear facing carseat wouldn't fit behind my seat to begin with! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:04 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I would put your preschooler on the passanger side so that he isn't getting out of the car into traffic and put the infant seat on the drivers side.
    And hopefully you dno't mean he is REALLY in a booster... I bet you mean 5 point harness because a booster at his age would be scary!
    What kinds of seats do you own? I would think that you could put both seats side by side in something as big jeep... in which case I would put your preschooler in the center because he is the least protected.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:16 PM on May. 12, 2009

• no her seat is a harness seat it also converts to a booster in that you can take the harness out, but she is still in the harness portion of it, its just easier to say booster than to try to explain the seat b/c the base of the seat is pretty wide. the infant seat is the graco snug ride seat and they won't fit next to each other i have already tried. thanks for the tips ladies!
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:45 PM on May. 12, 2009