Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get help for my teenage daughter.

Hi my daughter is a teen Mom and she needs help. I have tried my best with her and she does not listen to me at all. When she was 15 she would runaway. When her dad came home from jail she wanted to live with him and I stopped that she left me anyway the both of them took me to court and the judge ruled in my favor and told the Dad to send her back home. Now she is 17 with a baby and driving me crazy and my family. I love my daughter dearly she does not like my husband her brother and sister loves her and the baby but she is lunching and I don't know what to do with her. I love my grandson and I am afraid for him. Any help?

Answer Question

Asked by mrspeace at 4:08 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Try to get custody. That is the only logical thing to do. Now, with this being said. Hear me out: My parents were in your same situation with my brother. They actually raised his first two kids. They didn't fight for custody. Now the children are adults. Mind you, the mom was never in the picture. However, she is still trying to get child support for the girls.. back owned in the amount of 14,000.00.... SHE NEVER HAD THE KIDS, EVER. But my parents never tried to get the custody. It has been a BIG mess. You have to do it now, to avoid crap like this in the future.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • Is she taking care of the baby? Does she put him before everything else? Does she every put him in any potentially harmfull situations? If yes to any of these them i am sorry to have to say it but she should get the athorieies involved. She obviously is still rebeling and in not mature enough to handle being a mom. She needs to know that she cant survive on her own. she has ot have the help that only family can give her. Tough Love!

    Answer by Amanda7891 at 4:14 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • I am like your daughter and you all rolled into one. I had my son at 16 and before that did not listen to what my mother said to me. I moved out shortly after my son was born and raised him the best I could alone rather then deal with my mom. I was married to my first husband for 9 years and divorced in 06. I married husband # 2 in February and my baby is now 15 and does not get along with his step father at all. He makes life hell for my other 3 children and me. He would also run away to my ex weekly and I would always go bring him home. Finally one day he ran and I left him there. I cant fight him anymore. My ex has been to jail too and does not always make the best choices. I tried and now my son has to pick his path. Maybe its time to let your daughter go. I know its hard with her and the baby but shes got to see that she is hurting you and it cant go on. Good luck.


    Answer by lostshel at 4:18 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • lostshel
    you have said it in a nutshell. My husband has asked her to leave and her son can stay. It's just that she blames me for everything. She says that I put my husband before. Wants I started letting her visit with her dad it has been down hill every since and her father or grandmother does not help at all but point the finger and her girlfriends is always telling her you can get your mom in trouble. So I told her she is going to half to do what she gotta do I am tired of the treats my hair is falling out I don't get sleep like I should because as long as she is not in my home I worry about her and the baby. My husband has been takening care of her since she was 4yrs old.

    Answer by mrspeace at 4:43 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • Lay out the rules clearly, if she is not in school or working tell her she has to do one or the other give her a limited time to abide by the rules or get out on her own. Find out what support there is in your community for teen mothers, would she qualify for social services if you kick her out. It is hard to think about kicking out your own child and grand child, but just the threat may be what she needs to get it together.

    Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:40 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • Go to court for guardianship of your grandchild. You can do this without an attorney. Just go to the family court office and ask for guardianship papers, you will fill them out and pay a court filing fee. YOur daughter will recieve a notice to appear in court, as will you. The judge will determine what is in the best interest of the child. Your daughter will not lose parental rights, you will just have guardianship and all decision making abilities. My cousin had to do this with her 17 year old daughter because she was making unwise and unsafe choices for her own 1 yr old daughter.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:34 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • Where is the baby's father in all of this? Perhaps it is time for the parents and child to form their own family unit.

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:34 AM on May. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.