How would you decorate a room for boy/girl twin toddlers?

My 20 month old boy/girl twins share a room. They are still in cribs, but I expect to be moving them to beds in the next 6 months. At that time we'll be updating from baby to toddler decor. I haven't bought beds or anything else yet, so pretty much anything is a possibility; we can even do two themes if they work together. I want it to be fun for them. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:11 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• dora/diego work together as two diff themes if those are characters they like. my daughter loved elmo so when she went to a big girl bed we redecorated and went with elmo. so if they have a fave cartoon you could go with that. if not you could do the walls yellow and then do a fantasy type theme. his side of the room can have dragons while her side has fairies or princesses. or a forrest theme he gets the big bears etc...she gets the flowers and butterflies. but that way it ties in together. and then you just have to find bedding that matches that theme for each of them.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:14 PM on May. 12, 2009

• my sister put one bed at each side of the room and did girly things on the girl side and boy things on the boy side. I know that she used those wall sticker things. Turned out really cute.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 4:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Do they have anything that they both like, like frogs and princesses? I think that would be really cute.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:17 PM on May. 12, 2009

• That would be fun!  I would either do a charater theme like Mickey Mouse/Minnie Mouse or Diego/Dora, or I would choose a gender neutral theme like my son's nursery, which is yellow, white, and beige with a seaside theme of the beach, water, boys and girls playing with pails, shells, and beach balls.  It's very calming and soothing, especially with the waves playing on his sound machine.  The other option would be to paint opposite walls gender-specific themes like princesses on one side with something like trains on the other side.  Any of these would work and I would base it on their personalities.  What do your littles ones like?  For us, I've kept my son's room babyish, and made the playroom all about trains, soccer, and baseball because I don't want him to see the things he loves and want to play at bedtime, lol.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 4:30 PM on May. 12, 2009

• These are all great ideas! They don't really watch cartoons yet, so I'm thinking I'll probably skip the characters since they won't know the difference. I'll also probably keep their beds together where I have the cribs now because they seem to like being close (for now anyway). I really like the fantasy theme ideas. I wish I had the talent to paint murals on the walls; I think it would be really cool to paint a castle scene, but I'm pretty sure it would look like a disaster if i tried to do it myself.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:37 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I didn't see the beach theme before I posted my reply. That would be really nice too. If I had a separate playroom for them, I would probably try to stick with something less playful for their bedroom. Luckily they are good sleepers, but who knows how that will go when they are no longer confined to their cribs. Thanks for the reply!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:01 PM on May. 12, 2009

• If you look around at bedding, you can find things that go together. When my two were little, I found a cute cowboy theme that had a boy comforter and a girl one, but the curtains and other things matched both..It was very cute!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Thanks christyg! Good idea. That is exactly how I ended up chosing their nursery theme(s); they coordinate without matching exactly and I love it. I also had been thinking about cowboys and cowgirls as a possible theme (we live in Texas, I grew up on a ranch, and they love to wear Daddy's boots!).
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:36 PM on May. 12, 2009

• just say no to character themes!!!!
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 6:08 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Thanks abelsmamma. Since they aren't into that stuff yet I think I'm off the hook!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:08 AM on May. 13, 2009