Skin condition....

Have you or anyone you know had either basal cell carcinoma or psoriasis?
Long story short, my girlfriend was diagnosed with psoriasis about a year and a half ago. She's been under treatment for it. Her symptoms have only gotten worse over the course of her treatment. She told me yesterday that a lady in the library she was having a conversations with about psoriasis came up to her and told her she probably doesn't have psoriasis at all. The lady stated that her husband was originally diagnosed with psoriasis as well but later it was found out that he had basal cell carcinoma. My friend has to wait three weeks to see a specialist. In the mean time, I'm trying to research as much as possible about the two conditions. There doesn't seem to be a clear cut answers because everyone seems to differ slightly on their symptoms. So what were the symptoms of either psoriasis or basal cell carcinoma?

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 4:20 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Health

• My husband has severe plaque psoriasis. His all started when he was 17. He was in a motorcycle accident and had a pretty big gash on his left cheek. Within a few days a similar looking welt appeared on his right cheek. The psoriasis immediately followed. It seems to be triggered by trauma. It's always symmetrical, so if it appears on one side of the body, it will appear on the other. (This is one good way to rule it out.) A breakout starts with dry, scaly "plaques" on the major joints. (Usually on the knees and elbows first.) It's extremely itchy, and usually painful with burning and aching. It's an autoimmune disease, like rheumatoid arthritis, and like RA, the treatments are usually just as bad as the disease. (With cancer being a prevalent side effect.)
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 4:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Didn't have room to finish before.....

Severe cases of psoriasis can lead to Psoriatic arthritis. Instead of the immune system just attacking the skin cells, it begins to attack the joints, causing severe pain, swelling, and stiffness, eventually resulting in immobility.

If your friend does have psoriasis, symmetry is the first clue. Other than that, a dermatologist will have to diagnose her to be certain. Most people who have the disease control it with home remedies, but what works for one person rarely works for another. It's a very unpredictable disease, and is always worse in cold, dry weather. Here's a few I've found:

Calamine lotion, epsom salts (bath), vaseline, fish oil pills, tanning beds (the UV light helps), high levels of chlorine (swimming pools), and lye soap. The lye soap seemed to help my husband the most. Wish her luck for me.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 4:36 PM on May. 12, 2009

• http://www.daseattle.com/
    My dermatologist has been studying psoriasis for years, here's a link which may have some info your friend can ask about. He is Dr. Goffe.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:10 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I have some info and websites that might be helpful. Message me if you are interested in learning more
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 5:27 PM on May. 12, 2009