Marine Wives: Does this irk you?

I wrote this email to the Editor of Reader's Digest today: In the article written describing a mother's love support and devotion to her son through his recovery after a horrific wartime injury, you mentioned that Ty Ziegel is a "former Marine." His title of US Marine should get the respect it deserves. Once A Marine, Always A Marine. Thank you for your service & sacrifice Ty. Semper Fi!
Does it irk you when you hear "former Marine?" It bugs me. They earn that title for life-they live & some die by it. A Marine is a Marine for life. Am I right?!? **I feel like I should throw an Ooh Rah in there too so Ooh Rah!!**

RugersMommy06

Asked by RugersMommy06 at 4:23 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband considers himself a former Marine....he was honorably discharged (much to the chagrin of his CO) MANY years ago.

My dad also considered himself a former Marine.

Potato, potah-to, I suppose.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:25 PM on May. 12, 2009

• my husband will always consider himself a Marine! Semper Fi!
    TikkiNippets

Answer by TikkiNippets at 5:17 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It annoys me when people say X Marine. But my husband will go by 'former Marine' but not 'X' .

But you are right, the are always a Marine! They make it through the training and serve honorably, they are a Marine. But civilians get confused by that loyalty!
    MumFerg

Answer by MumFerg at 6:14 PM on May. 12, 2009

• "X" is on that list too. Good one.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My hubby will always think of himself as a Marine. He went through bootcamp, has been deployed more then once and is busting his ass to pick up rank like they should. Former Marine & X Marine arent in his vocabulary lol (i asked him when i saw this post & that sthe response I got)
    marinesweetie

Answer by marinesweetie at 8:00 PM on May. 12, 2009

• One of my good friends went from the Marine Corps to the Army (only because he wanted to be a medic) but someone called him an EX-Marine and I heard he blew up. He doesn't mind former Marine but still I agree you are a Marine no matter what. What are they going to say about Navy or any other branch..."Oh your an ex or former Navy man/woman?" I think not. It irks me too!!
    rubygirllv

Answer by rubygirllv at 9:02 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I agree. My husband worked hard for the title to be a Marine. He will always be a Marine in my eyes. My Dad is the same way. It is a way of life. The brotherhood will always be there. Once a Marine, always a Marine1
    gaalar

Answer by gaalar at 9:25 PM on May. 12, 2009