With this economy they way it is do you....

pay attention to gas prices? The prices of food you buy at the grocery store? Do you still go out to eat? If yes, how often and what times of restaurants? Do you only buy essentials or do you just shop? Do you have your hair and you nails done? Do you go on vacation? I'm asking because the economy hasn't affected me in that way. I have never paid attention to gas prices because it doesn't matter you still have to have it. The same with groceries. I make a list most of the time, but I gotta have food to eat. I do try to watch what I buy, but I'm not very good at it. We still go out to eat at least once a week. We eat at restaurants ranging in price from fast food, to Outback. We mainly buy essentials, but we also just shop. I don't have my hair done, but I do get my nails done twice a month. Every where we go there is always a lot of people, so I don't know if it's my area or if it's like that every where and the *CONTINUED*

AnnHenderson

Asked by AnnHenderson at 4:28 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• news and media just make it sound worse that what it is. I know times are bad, my father is a truck driver and has been laid off since the beginning of September. What are you opinions and answers?
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 4:29 PM on May. 12, 2009

• We pay atttenition to everything.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:31 PM on May. 12, 2009

• "pay attention to gas prices?" Yes. It's nearly .10 cheaper per gallon to buy near work. And I'm driving more conservatively to save gas.

" The prices of food you buy at the grocery store?" Absolutely.

"Do you still go out to eat? If yes, how often and what times of restaurants? " Not anymore.

"Do you only buy essentials or do you just shop?" Haven't "just shopped" in years.

"Do you have your hair and you nails done?" I dumped manicures when my son was born. Haven't had a hair cut in six months; it can be the difference between getting to work and not.

"Do you go on vacation?" I did last summer, but no more. Not till DH is working again in a job where he has vacation time. He didn't in his last job (contract work with no benefits).

"I'm asking because the economy hasn't affected me in that way."

You're lucky. I'm getting a good sense of what my grandparents lived with in the Depression.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:43 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes & No.
    Yes, because it affects us all, all the way around! Everything you do. I still save!
    No, because me & my husband struggled for 25 yrs. Pay check to Pay check. For the last 5 or so years we have had an ease and have enjoyed having money. Then last year I decided to start selling something on the side and it really payed off. I constantly have extra money either on hand or put away. ( I just have to watch his spending!) I'm the saver, he is the spender! So, in that way NO.
    I save bcause of where we have came.......in the same aspect.....he spends b-cause of where we came.......
    I love my p/time and actually I will be able to go f/time this year. We took it slow and it paid off.
    I always say " have something in the back to back you up"...... strickly from experience!
    My cafemom web here has some info on what I do if anyone is interested. But it was the best thng I cld of done!
    gr-mom2

Answer by gr-mom2 at 4:44 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Gas prices will go up again so I pay attention, interesting how they just plummeted...no government involvement there. I am more careful about spending on some food items. We buy things at Costco to save a little, I turn lights off, heat off, drive the car when I have more than one thing to do. I am looking at prices for restaurants, like happy hour. We are doing happy hours at nice high end places. I switched my hairdresser for cuts but am keeping the one for color, I quit botox but am going on vacation this summer. Took adavantage of really affordable tickets to Florida. I'm a bit glad for the bit of correction, if any, happening with businesses. I think we've been grossly ripped off here for years. Mind you, Seattle is expensive-Highest gas and alcohol tax, high sales tax and services cost a ton. Hair cuts are easily $75, hamburgers are $14, cocktails are $12, hotel rooms depending on where you stay are all over $250/night.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:55 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Gas prices, no, because we don't have a car. Food, yes, I use a notebook and excel spreadsheet to help me determine the best place to buy specific items. I plan meals and snacks a week in advance and base my grocery list on what we will use.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:25 PM on May. 12, 2009

• pay attention to gas prices? Kinda. We don’t have a working car right now. So I like to know how much we aren’t spending at the pump. Also, I want to know what prices would be like if we had a working car.

The prices of food you buy at the grocery store? Yes. It’s sad to see the price of dry beans go from $1.00 a pound to $1.50. WTH is going on?

Do you still go out to eat? Nope. I guess we did two months ago though. But we decided not to eat out anymore until our car is fixes and we’re out of debt.

Do you only buy essentials or do you just shop? Essentials plus cheese. That’s it.

Do you have your hair and you nails done? My hair yes. But my MIL does it for free.

Do you go on vacation? Nope. We can’t go anywhere without a car.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:04 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Ohhh yeah...one would be a fool not to look. Or maybe flfthy rich. lol I mean really the cost of living nowadays is outstanding! Food, clothing, utilities and even the essentials seem to come at a high cost. Unbelievable..i swear. This year i learned to hit them clearance isles and look for sales. Yeah..we still go out to eat, go on vacations, and get my hair done we still do it all..just at bargain prices! hehe
    Anonymous

• Well, to be honest, I pay attention, but I could be more attentive. However, I am a cheap ass! I clip coupons, I shop all the sale papers to get the products I need at the lowest prices with coupons, and I buy in bulk only when it stands for me to save money from it. I have always bought clothing on clearance or taken hand-me-downs. We still eat out, but we look for specials and coupons for our favorite restaurants. I've always been bad about getting my haircut, but when I do, it's only $15 to get it done by my hair stylist. I bite my nails, so I don't have to worry about that. My husband and I have already been to the lowest of lows when it comes to income...he changed jobs in Sept and I changed in March...we have benefited greatly and have increased our income by about 3 to 4x. We are some of the lucky ones, though.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 11:13 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I really do not pay attention because I have to get gas and we have to have food. The only reason we never go out to eat anymore is because I was diagnosed with food allergies and eating out is near impossible for me. I still get my hair done and I still go shopping.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:31 AM on May. 13, 2009