2 year old dental work

My 2 year old needs some dental work. The dentists he's seen think it may be due to enamel issues and not enough flouride since we drink only bottled water. I brush them twice daily and he'll even let me use floss on the little sticks. I took him when I started seeing white spots and was told all was well(which made the dentist he has now pretty upset, had they told me then that it was a sign of decay and used flouride this would have been avoided), within a couple months everything was a mess and it took me a long while to find a dentist who would take an energetic 2 year old. Have any moms dealt with dental work on young children? Most of the dentists near me want to use a papoose but it doesn't really seem humane. I don't like the idea of general anesthesia. I'm really unsure about what I should do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter had a cavity filled at age 3, they put her out and she was fine.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:42 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I used to work at a childrens dentist....how much work does he need done? A papoose board would be a good first choice as long as they are using nitrous oxide too (laughing gas) Most kids actually do pretty well with it -- it looks a lot scarier to parents, but it's a lot like a tight blanket wrapped around them. I would be OK with using it on my kids, if I was comfortable with the dentist. If you decide to go ahead with it, ask if you can peek in on him once he gets settled(DON'T let him see you!) and it will ease your concerns.
    General Anesthesia is sooo cool for the kids, because they get it all done at one time and they don't even remember it. It's just hard on the parents =) and it can get expensive if your medical insurance won't pick up part of it. If you are seeing a childrens dentist, everything will be fine.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:17 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I sat with my 2 year old while she had a tooth pulled, they gave her gas and a shot in her mouth. She did great and I sat next to her the whole time. We explained what was going to happen and talked about it for weeks until it happened. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Wow, our pediatrician and dentist don't even think they need to start going until 3. My older girls are 7 and 5, and have fortunately, never had a cavity.
    Mom3Princess00

Answer by Mom3Princess00 at 5:32 PM on May. 12, 2009