Why?

If a woman is pregnant for 40 weeks then why do people say nine months? I understand some say calender months however on average there would still be 10 days missing from that statement.

So if you are about 39 weeks pregnant, well to me that would mean you are almost 10 months pregnant, right?

ERV2009

Asked by ERV2009 at 4:39 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Right. But you have to give or take 2 weeks for conception. So it makes a LITTLE sence. Its weird though lol
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 4:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Cute aviator. Sorry that's all I wanted to say. Is that a picture of your dog?

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

• hahaha Yes, that is my Frankfurt! He is only a year old, I adopted him a few months ago, he is the perfect pet!
    ERV2009

Answer by ERV2009 at 4:44 PM on May. 12, 2009

• well when you actually concive you are automatically 2 weeks pregnant so it would be like 9 and a half months
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 4:44 PM on May. 12, 2009

• You have to finish the ninth month. It is just nine months, 4 week king of thing.
    smzuzu

Answer by smzuzu at 4:45 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I meant kind of thing, not king of thing, sorry!
    smzuzu

Answer by smzuzu at 4:46 PM on May. 12, 2009

• By the end it certainly feels like 10 months!
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 4:58 PM on May. 12, 2009

• There are only 28 days in four weeks. A month varies from 28-31 days. Those extra 1-2 days a month add up. I am due in November. I added together all of the "29th, 30th, 31st" days from week 1 through week 40 and you know how many there were? 21! That's three more weeks! So they very first day of my pregnancy (meaning before conception) was February 13th...and I'm due November 20th. That looks like 9 months 1 week...which is the same as 40 wks. Confused more yet? LOL
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 4:59 PM on May. 12, 2009

• found this online:
    While some people talk about pregnancy being 9 months long (divided into three trimesters), most health care providers refer to pregnancy as being 40 weeks long, starting with your last menstrual period (LMP).

The date of conception is not always known and can vary between women. The date of LMP is known by most women so doctors use this date as a starting point for pregnancy. From your LMP they will add 280 days and this will give your Estimated Due Date or EDD. In general, all doctors agree that pregnancies, when using the LMP dating technique, average approximately 280 days or 40 weeks (9.33 months assuming 30 days per month).
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 5:05 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i think im more confused now lol. I thought about the 10 month thing also. but i figured i would just go by what my book "what to expect when your expecting" book says. but now im all sorts of confused. lol man you ladys know so much about this stuff if makes it so confusing for the first timers who dont get any of it lol.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:18 PM on May. 12, 2009