Am I feeding my 7 month old son enough?

My son just turned 7 months old this week. He is the size of a normal 1 year old and looks like he should be walking by now. He is tall and weighs approximately 23-24 lbs. He drinks 4-8oz. bottles a day and 1 container of stage 2 foods (alternating between fruits and veggies). I have been reading that babies his age are eating 2-3 containers of stage 2 foods a day plus 2 servings of cereal and 3-4 bottles. Recently he has started to wake up in the middle of the night, I give him a bottle and then after he is done he rolls over and goes back to sleep. I was wondering if he has started to wake in the middle of the night because he is not getting enough to eat during the day.

amykimevans

Asked by amykimevans at 4:41 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try rice cereal before bed. (Mix it with a little applesauce to sweeten it if you like.) It seems to keep little tummies full longer than just plain milk.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 4:52 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I would start offering more REAL food during the day (table and finger foods). It very well could be he's waking because he needs more calories. I mean he's only taking 32oz per day of formula or breastmilk. (I have no clue what you're putting in his bottles) But then my guys were in the 99th percentile and taking an average of 45oz per day. Once he's taking more table foods, he'll be fuller and THAT'S when his "bottle" consumption should drop (per our pediatrician, anyway)

Cereal right before bed will fill him at that time...and he shouldn't be having plain milk yet anyway...but it will digest and he'll wake up hungrier than before because it has fewer calories than his formula or breastmilk.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:01 PM on May. 12, 2009

• He's waking at night because that's what they do. **grin** He's eating PLENTY. It's completely normal for them to change their sleeping patterns often in year one, no matter how you feed them.

Be aware...feeding more could create a spike in blood sugar levels before bed...and then when they drop he might wake feeling hungry. The more he eats, the more his tummy thinks he's supposed to have. That is what happens with obese people (not saying you have an obese baby/.) Might actually be that you're giving him too much before bed.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:55 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i've been feeding my 6.5 month old a stage 2 fruit and 3tbsp of oatmeal cereal or one package of regular adult instant oatmeal for breakfast (around 8.30am) 1-2 6oz bottle(6oz of formula and 5 formula scoopers of oatmeal cereal) between breakfast and lunch, at lunch (around 11.30) he gets a stage three entree (mixed veggies spaghetti dinner etc) and juic, and 2-3 6oz bottles (6oz of formula and 5 formula scoopers of oatmeal cereal) between lunch and supper, at supper (about 6 or 6.30) he gets a stage 3 entree again with juice, and finally at bedtime he gets a 6 oz bottle (6oz formula 5 formula scoopers of oatmeal cereal)...i have fed him like this since he was about 5.5 months old per the pediatrician who stated that he was at the age appropriate for soft table foods and stages 2-3 of baby food
    LBAKER032307

Answer by LBAKER032307 at 5:59 PM on May. 12, 2009