People freak out...

Why do so many people freak out about stuff. I see stuff like: My child was never allowed to pee outside, or my 9 yr old doesnt go outside alone! watch your kid...does it seem like people go to extreme? This is kids we are dealing with. I try to find balance with my dd and not be a helicopter parent so she can have some freedom but I also feel like an involved parent and we spend alot of one on one time together. What drives you nuts about how other parents raise their kids? How do you find balance between the 2 extremes?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 4:49 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't know, but I have a feeling that I am going to be a very overprotective parent. I hope I will be able to find a balance.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:53 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It really annoys me when people baby there kids. they will have a 6 year old and they still rock them to sleep everynight!

and parents who never let their kids get dirty, ever! my aunt never let my cousin play with dirt or play with cats and dogs... gurss what she is 11 and afraid to get dirty and is allergic to cats a dogs now!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 4:55 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I have seen some parents that are so worried about their kids getting hurt that they are afraid to let them do anything. Kids are going to fall and their going to get hurt, in most cases a kiss and hug is all it takes to make them feel better unless your my kids then it's several trips to the ER.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:59 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think it depends on where you live (city, suburb) and the child. I can trust my boys in that they'll do as I say but they can make mistakes on their own. It's the pedophiles I worry about.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:02 PM on May. 12, 2009

• why would you let your kid pee outside that is teaching thme bad habits plus it is rude to other people your son is a child not an animal
    Anonymous

• i am an over protective parent when my child is in a public place. there are too many pedophiles in this world.

my parents didn't protect me and many, many bad things happened because they had the misconception if the world being safe for children.

and i agree with anon, peeing outside is just gross and rude.
    LilChynaDollie

Answer by LilChynaDollie at 5:47 PM on May. 12, 2009

• LOL. If peeing outside bothers you, I hope you never go camping. My toddler runs around the back yard in his birthday suit often. He is dressed when we go out to play, but when he has to go, all the clothes come off LOL. I am over protective with our oldest, but she is a teen. And I am in no rush to be a grandma, nor have here injured because of a car accident. My tweens, 12 and 9 go out and play by themselves and ride their bikes. They have thier cell phones. I dont watch them, I check on them, but I dont spend all day with my eye on them. When we are at a park, I don't hover either. I watch, but if they fall I wait to see their reaction before I run over, as I tend to over react, I don't want them flipping out screaming for just a scraped knee ya know? www.RamblingsOFaSAHM.com

Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 5:55 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Peeing outside camping and peeing outside your house are two completely different things.
    That said, my husband was told when he was little not to run, he could hurt himself. He now can't run. His form is ridiculous, he has no stamina, and is scared of it.
    THESE same people let my son walk on the porch railing that is a good 5 feet off the ground with no one watching him or staying nearby. No running ever to walking on the porch railing. Seems like a huge range there, right?
    I just don't really like extremes. I mean, normally developing kids should be able to put themselves to sleep and eat on their own and that sort of thing by school. My sister's stepdaughter couldn't tie her own shoes until she was 9 because her mother did if for her so she wouldn't grow up.
    Also, 3 year olds shouldn't know how to shoot a gun or be outside with no fence and no parents alone near a street.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:05 PM on May. 12, 2009

• nothing annoys me about other's parenting styles unless it's abuse.. im too busy to pay attention to someone's parenting styles. i don't care what people think of my parenting styles and i assume no one cares what i think unless they ask me. PP said it right...there's a difference between peeing outsie and peeing while camping. but when i locked my key in the house and my son had to go we went around the corner and he did his thing. i had no shame lol
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 6:08 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Ick, my girls spend a lot of time at their mamaw's and apparently mamaw taught them how to pee outside, not even covered, so imagine my surprise when they were playing out at my house and my four year old dropped trou behind the swingset and started peeing.

I am sorry there is a perfectly good bathroom very close, there is no reason for them to pee outside. I was revolted that she would teach my children that.

When we go camping we always go to campgrounds with restrooms, even there there is no need to go outside... unless it were an emergency I don't want my girls feeling they can drop their pants outside, god only knows what kind of creeps could be around. or what kind of plants they might rub on.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:13 PM on May. 12, 2009