I need HELP! My 8 month old son isnt really eating.

My 8 month old knows how to use his fingers to hold onto food but he isnt putting it into his mouth.
He eats stage 2 foods, the doctor said not to switch him to stage 3 and meats until 9 months. I feed him puffs and a some of what we have to eat, he will grab the food in his fingers and will just hold it.
Any advice?

NicolePB

Asked by NicolePB at 4:52 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i know baby food is not the best tastingbut,have you tried to eat some in front of him and show him how to put it in his mouth after its in his hands? does he try to put things in his mouth like when he is moving around the house?
    silly7

Answer by silly7 at 5:11 PM on May. 12, 2009

• He may not be particularly interested. Not really a problem...formula or brastmilk is still his main meal. Let him play with things...he'll eventually get to putting it in his mouth.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:53 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it too much, he'll eat it when he's ready!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:53 PM on May. 12, 2009

• He'll figure it out. My son did the same thing... then one day he just started doing it on his own. And even still, some days he won't feed himself... he wants me to do it all.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:09 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I have tried to stick the foods in my mouth to show him but he just looks away.
    I grab his hand and even show him where his mouth is but he just dont seem to care
    He does put everything around the house such as toys but when it comes to foods he just doesn't put them in there. Some times he will hold it to his mouth but wont drop it in his mouth
    Any sugestions about what finger foods I should feed him?
    NicolePB

Answer by NicolePB at 11:06 AM on May. 13, 2009

• my fifth child was like this and i agree as long as he is getting his formula/breastmilk he is ok. does he eat solids ok from a spoon? i got the zwieback toast it is kinda long so they can hold onto it and chew on it just be careful because he may chew a big piece off. as long as he is getting all of the food mentioned above hes getting what he needs. believe me pretty soon you wont be able to keep food in the house!!!another thing is to maybe try to give him the finger foods when you know hes hungry but wont get frustarated either by being too hungry.gerber makes these little round things called wagonwheels too.
    silly7

Answer by silly7 at 4:28 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Thank You All !!!!
    NicolePB

Answer by NicolePB at 12:22 PM on May. 14, 2009