Can female dogs be infertile?

I'm not asking if you agree with me allowing my dog to have puppies. What I'm asking is can dogs be infertile like humans? My female chow/husky has been mounted several times by her mate, but she's never had puppies. She is now 4 years old and I think she is too old to be having them now anyhow. Is it possible that she CAN'T have puppies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Pets

• Animals can be infertile--wasn't it just a couple years ago that a Kentucky Derby winning stallion proved to be infertile after he retired from racing? I would talk to your vet & see if there is any way they can test both your male & female.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 8:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I am sure they can be infertile...I doubt it is something that would only affect humans. If she is going into heats though, I would assume she is ovulating and is fertile.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:57 PM on May. 12, 2009

• That is so strange. She is going through heat cycles and gets bred, but its been a year. I know its not for lack of trying. Maybe its the male?
    Anonymous

• I have wondered the same about out St. Bernard now 7 years old. She goes into heat, but not like she should (often) And has been mounted several times as well. Never took to it.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 5:03 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Maybe they are lesbians and don't want to get pregnant.
    Anonymous

• I think so, my dad had a dog till it died of old age and she never had a litter of puppies and there are plenty of strays out here that the opportunity had to of been knocking at some point. lol
    Anonymous