As long as your son knows the correct term for his male parts, why would it matter if they used a "nickname" for it?

I have seen so many people have an absolute hissy fit because someone uses another term besides Penis. Why on earth does it matter? Is there some logic behind it? My son knew it was a penis, but, preferred to call it his Mister. Now, at 13, he calls it his junk. It hasn't affected him in the least....

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 5:14 PM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's really normal for 13 year olds to use other terms.
    My daughter knows all the proper names for all her parts but I let her use what ever she's comfortable with because I would rather she be comfortable talking about it then not talk about it at all.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 5:16 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My daughter will know the proper termonaligy at the right age.

Untill then it will be her "Girl friend"

I was raped when i was younger and i didnt wanna tell anyone because i though "vagina" was a bad word.

I couldnt have been much more willing to tell anyone if i could just say "he touched my girlfriend"
    Anonymous

• My son knows the correct terms for male and female parts. He is learning that they are private and he only looks at and touches his own. No one else's and NO ONE touches his. I prefer that he uses the correct terms because thats what his father and I use, but if down the road he choses to call it something else that's his choice, but if in my presence he uses a different word, I will correct him.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 5:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i don't know why people get all bent out of shape. why do they have to call it by the proper name anyway? as long as they know they can't talk about their "girl friend" ( i like that one!) to everyone and their mother, who cares? i think it is a problem when parents call it another name and then because it's not "vagina" or "penis" they think it's okay to let their kids talk about it in public. i think parents just need to make sure that kids understand that they don't talk about private parts in public, whatever name they choose to call their privates.
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 5:27 PM on May. 12, 2009

• ToAnnHenderson: If he knows the "correct" term, why not accept a nickname, too?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:30 PM on May. 12, 2009

• my 4 y/o knows the correct term for it and still calls it her 'butt'.
    i let her cause she knows what's she's talking about and will point to it to let me know which 'butt' it is.

i have different names for mine for different moods i'm in, as a kid i called it my "privates", i didn't know the correct term for it though.
    LilChynaDollie

Answer by LilChynaDollie at 5:38 PM on May. 12, 2009

• IMO I believe that the chlid should know the proper terms, but whatever they prefer to name it is their business; however, in public they should be referred to by the proper terms
    LBAKER032307

Answer by LBAKER032307 at 5:53 PM on May. 12, 2009

• my son is 3 he calls his a ding dong and my 4 year old daughter calls hers her pee pee, cause thats what its for, lol why try to confuze a child so young?? she aint got no clue that it does anything but pee out it.
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 6:17 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I teach mine the right term from day 1. My 2 year old calls it 'peena' since he can't say penis yet. As my kids got older they have switched in certain situations but still generally say penis/vagina. Teaching them the right term doens't confuse them. Kids need to know those words are not bad words, it keeps them safe. When something happens maybe YOU know the code word but others don't and that could lead to a child who told something and was ignored because their teacher doesn't know a vagina is called girlfriend or cookie at home.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:33 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Because they are what they are. I was never taught what they were, just that they were private parts. I want my son to be proud and knowledgeable I don't want him to be scared and ashamed.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 7:41 PM on May. 12, 2009