Bottles

I'm a first time mom and I'm in the process of registering for my baby shower. I was wondering what bottles other moms would recommend. I plan on breastfeeding, at least in the beginning. I also need to know, how many do I need?

lala9

Asked by lala9 at 5:15 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My breast milk fed baby liked the Dr.Browns bottles. I hated them. Pain in the ass to clean, but they are really good bottles. He also liked the breastflow bottles by the first years. Its shaped liked a breast, feels like a breast, and flows like a breast. most babies dont know the difference.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 5:19 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I would get a few (3-4) 2 oz. bottles.
    Then a few 4-5 oz. bottles... maybe only 2-3 of those.
    Then about 5-6 8oz. bottles.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 5:20 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't know the specific name for them, but the Playtex bottles with the disposable liners are great. Easy to clean, easy to pack, and if you use a breast pump, you can get the breast milk storage baggies that fit them too.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 5:20 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I found it easier to switch my boys to the playtex dropin bottles after i stopped breastfeeding them. they are a lot easier too. When i finally got then swtiched to the bottle i bought probably 5 or 6 bottles.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 5:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i didnt buy in to all the "you have to get the bottles with the nipples shapped like the breast". i personally think they are pointless and way more expensive!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 5:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Uh..I HAD to get the nipples that had the bigger bottom....dome shaped ones..my son wouldn't suck any other at first..later he would.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:27 PM on May. 12, 2009

• We used the Avent bottles. If you are breast feeding you probably only need one package of the small ones and a package of the 8 oz ones!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 5:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I used drop ins and switched between bottle and breast with no problems. I liked that you don't have to clean the bottle after each use. THere is also a kit you can get that lets you pump right into the drop in and then store the breastmilk, too. The drop ins also help reduce gas. You push the air out and baby gets less air bubbles and the liners collaps around the milk as baby drinks. It worked well for us. It's about ten cents a bottle that way, though.

I also recommend only buying 8 oz bottles. No need to get the smaller one since they will out gorw them soon. (actually I got a 2 oz for a shower gift. I used it for medicine. I dropped the liquid in added some formula and baby drank it right up!). You can also get the 4 oz drop ins and use those with the 8 oz bottles. Just something to consider.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't get too many at first. My first went through several different types before we found on he would take easily...and I breastfed at first.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:48 PM on May. 12, 2009

• if you plan on breastfeeding and bottle feeding I would do the Breastflow bottles. It's what we used with my son and he had not troubles going back and forth.
    You'll for sure want something with a slow flow nipple... it's more of a FLOW confussion than a nipple confussion when you do both. If the milk comes too easy at the bottle they don't want to work for it at the breast.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:49 PM on May. 12, 2009