Any tips for picky eaters?

my son doesnt like ALOT of foods. he wont touch fruits or vegi's and as far as meat he only eats chicken nuggets. =[ its stressfull.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Make the meal, set in infront of him, if he chooses not to eat, then fine, he canwait till next meal time to eat, ... eventually he will get the idea that he eats what is given to him, or he can be hungry till he chooses to eat. As a parent it syour responsibility to help him to learn to like healthy meals... not cater to his tasetbuds. I know its stressfull, but it is worth it.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:38 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It's probably not something to worry about.  Many kids go through this and about all of them get over it.  Just get him to try new things, but if he doesn't want to, don't punish him for it.  It's also okay for him to miss 1 meal, so by the next meal, he'll be wanting to try new things.  If it gets too bad, you can give him vitamins to cover for the nutrients he's not getting.  Good luck.

Amazon.com Raffle - Win a $25 Amazon.com Gift Certificate
    Iteya.com - Find 100's of Coupons, Earn FREE Gift Cards

MoneySaver

Answer by MoneySaver at 5:47 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My 3 yr old is doing this. I'll make something and he'll keep telling me he doesnt like it even though he's ate it before with no problem. I'll save it and tell him no treats or snacks and when he sees I mean it and his brother and sisters are getting snacks he'll usually eat, And if not I save it until the next meal and then he can eat that, When he gets hungry he'll reaize I want give in and will eat with no complaints.
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 10:31 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I wrote a journal about this. Its on my page. You should go read it. I've got my sons eating lots of food now and he is the pickiest child on the planet! Good luck!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 12:30 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Fix his plate, put it in front of him, then it's up to him to eat or not. You are in charge of providing healthy, balanced meals...he's in charge of eating it. He won't go hungry for long.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:25 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree with daughteroftruth they will eat when they are hungry. I know it is stressful but this is just a battle of the who is going to give in first.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 8:02 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Take your child to the library, pick up kids cookbooks (I love Pretend Soup); there is also a great kids cooking website: www.spatulatta.com. Take your child to the grocery store & let him pick out a new vegetable or fruit to introduce to the family (shredded jicama in salad! grilled pineapple!). Cooked beans and cubes of tofu (also fun to squish); avocado; frozen peas and blueberries. Kids love to dip. Make whole wheat pasta, like penne, give him a dish of marinara.
    Cut up veggies (carrots, broccoli, zucchini, lettuce, cherry tomatoes), give him a dish of ranch dressing or hummus. All kids love peanut sauce; serve it with whole wheat spagetti and broccoli.
    Tofu fish sticks; bean patties with avocado sauce, omlettes with shredded broccoli or spinach. smoothies with frozen blueberry, frozen banana, yogurt, apple juice and kale.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:25 AM on May. 13, 2009