Couldn't accept the job from RentACenter. The DM expects me to work 12 or more hrs. a day everyday. I WILL NOT be away from my 13 month old son that long.

I didn't want to decline but my son means more to me than working myself to death OUTSIDE the home. I would never see him and besides, day care centers do not stay open past 6:30 at the least. He didn't seem to have any compassion either; I didn't really expect it. Business is business, right? The hours are 8:30 am. to 9 p.m or later. Only a single person with no family could do that. I'm a sucker, I started to cry when I looked at him while talking to the district manager when thinking of leaving him somewhere that long everyday. What would you have done?

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 5:30 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• 12+ hours a day EVERYDAY?! Not 3-4 days per week? That would have been over 80 hours per week! Only business OWNERS work that many hours!!! Are you sure you didn't misunderstand the job requirements? Even as a MANAGER (regional or otherwise), you might be expected to work upwards of 60 hours SOME weeks--not every week!

Even if they expected 80+ hours per week, it would have had to have been an paid HOURLY job as opposed to SALARIED position to expect ANYONE to put in that much time!

I would have declined the offer too--just because that is a ridiculous expectation from any employee. People work to live, not live to work! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:48 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Well, they will offer the job to someone willing to make that sacrifice. Keep looking, I hope you find something that fits into your schedule.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:31 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Hi, it's Robin in West Rogers Park. I can help you with your job search. Please send me a message and I will forward my email address to you.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:32 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Oh yeah, I would have accepted the job if I really needed it and felt I couldn't get anything else. Even if it was for at least a few weeks while looking for something else.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:32 PM on May. 12, 2009

• dont worry yourself too much more jobs will come along. If you are desperate for the money you should have taken it until you could have found something else..but again more will come along no worries.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:34 PM on May. 12, 2009

• That is just awful! I am really sorry. I was lucky to be able to stay home with my children for a long time and I am now a WAHM and really like what I do. Feel free to look at my site and it might or might not be something you would like to do as well. At least it is an option. If you have any questions feel free to call me. Good luck!
    SonjaSC

Answer by SonjaSC at 5:36 PM on May. 12, 2009