Best birth control option while breastfeeding

I'm wanting to breastfeed when my son is born, however i def do want to be put on birth control. My SO is leaving 2 months after our son is due and i'm sure there will be lots of activity going on and i can't handle being pregnant again after childbirth.. I know it will be a very long time before we'll be ready for another child. Any ideas on what's the best and safest to use while breast feeding? Pros and Cons... Pain... I need all details!

rainylittlebug

Asked by rainylittlebug at 5:38 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I got the Mirena. didnt have a pereiod until my daughter was off breastfeeding at 14 months. you dont gain weight like with the shot i gained 15 pounds. you dont have to worry about taking pills or shoving a ring in there.... i love it.... talk with your ob and they will tell you the best for you
    luckyhart

Answer by luckyhart at 5:46 PM on May. 12, 2009

• period* lol
    luckyhart

• BEST...non hormonal methods. The IUD is safe. The minipill is safe but you need to REMEMBER it at the same time daily or you may as well not be doing anything.

They likely won't clear ytou for anything for six weeks, and it's entirely possible that you won't even be ovulating.

It's also EXTREMELY possible that you will have NO interest in sex...be prepared for that possibility because childbirth and a newborn are often sex zappers. Get it while you can. OK?

Answer by gdiamante at 5:48 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I've been taking Micronor since having my son (he's almost nine months) and have no complaints. I set a timer on my cell phone that goes off every day at the same time to remind me to take it, no problems there! My period has also not started yet, though I don't really attribute that to the pill, just the breast feeding!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:52 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I also love the IUD. I have the mirena and love it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:58 PM on May. 12, 2009

• an IUD is ideal especially if you do not want any children any time soon... you can get it to last 5 or 10 years it is not usually painful to get it put in if at all painful it only lasts the rest of that day... mine hurt because i was already back to normal shortly after birth... you dont have to remember to take anything, there is no maintence ... if you want children before the 5 or 10 years is up you can get it taken out
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 6:47 PM on May. 12, 2009

• oh and the IUD is effective immedietly after you get it
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 6:48 PM on May. 12, 2009