What meals could you serve your family that don't include much salt? I saw on the news this morning that we eat 3 x's more salt than we need and it's killing us.

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 5:45 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Food & Drink

• make things homemade and you can control how much salt is in your food. I think they might have been talking about like fastfoods...hope this helps
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:50 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Just try eating more fruits and vegetables.  Also, removing salt from your cooking and try other herbs and spices and lemon juice.

Amazon.com Raffle - Win a $25 Amazon.com Gift Certificate
    Iteya.com - Find 100's of Coupons, Earn FREE Gift Cards

MoneySaver

Answer by MoneySaver at 5:52 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Fresh fruits and vegetables, don't overseason your meats, get away from packaged foods. Processed pre-packaged foods are the number one culprit in sodium overload.

Instead of a can of Campbells soup, make your own. Skip the Kid Cuisine in favor of homemade chicken nuggets that you can make by dipping chicken in egg and then bread crumbs before baking. And so on.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:00 PM on May. 12, 2009

• When you do use salt, use it at the table; this way there will just be salt on the surface and not cooked in.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Avoid salt in meats such as chicken and beef.Look for brands that says no added salt,such as foster farms chicken.Nowadays the butchers and meat makers are injecting salt water into our meats to make them look plumper.Avoid t.v. dinners,canned soups,vegetables and whatever, also packaged foods are loaded with salt.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 8:19 PM on May. 12, 2009

• You control the salt content of anything that is not processed. Just making a few extra things from scratch will dramatically reduce the salt in your diet. Just look at what a package of cookies has as compared to what you bake at home ;)

It's funny, as I've changed my eating habits, I've started to find normal things too salty and gross to my taste.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:05 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Home cooked meals is the best way to avoid too much salt. Also consider using a mix of regular salt and Sea Salt when you do add salt. I rarely salt anything when I cook. I let each person eating salt their own food at the table.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 9:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• stay away from processed foods!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:08 PM on May. 12, 2009

• The salt overload in our diets isn't coming from the foods we cook homemade, but rather all the processed foods we eat. Have you checked out canned soup for example? The sodium levels are astronomical! Same with a lot of other processed foods, like ramen, rice a roni, mac & cheese, lunch meats, frozen and canned entress (like stew), etc. The easiest way to lower your sodium intake is to make the food yourself. Yes it takes more effort to make stew from scratch, but you control what you're eating, and it's healthier and cheaper than buying canned if you take into account cost per serving.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:17 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Just drink more water to flush it out! Salt dehydrates you.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:37 PM on May. 16, 2009