gifts for older children at new babies birth

I have a four and six year old girls and they will be at the hospital (not in the room during delivery but they will be brought in as soon as mommy is covered.)
I want to have a special gift for them, I can't spend a whole lot of money because I just graduated with my BA in education and haven't been able to find a job yet.
I don't want to do the "I'm a big sister" t shirt or whichever because I'd like it to be both a keepsake AND something they will appreciate at their young ages.

any ideas mommies? what did you do with your older children when a new baby came along? how did you handle them in the hospital? (we have a mamaw who will watch them at the hospital and then take them for a couple of nights of pure spoiling at her house)

LuckyClown

Asked by LuckyClown at 5:53 PM on May. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When my second child was born, I got my oldest a baby doll so that he could take care of his 'baby' while I took care of the little one. Then, when I had my third child I got my older 2 boys each a camera and photo album so that they could take pictures and put them in their own little albums. Now I'm expecting my 4th and I'm not sure what I will do for my 3 boys. I would love some more ideas too.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:17 AM on May. 13, 2009

• make them a necklace that says something special....i suggest browsing Michaels for more ideas
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:55 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My daughter was pretty young when my son was born...I actually waited until after I was home for a couple weeks, then the two of us went for mani/pedi's (she just got hers painted) together at the beauty salon.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:35 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My son got the book Little Gorilla by Ruth Bornstein when my daughter was born and I thought it was so special. It starts "Once there was a gorilla, and everybody loved him..." Then at the end little gorilla begins to grow and grow (turning 5 at his birthday) and "everybody still loved little gorilla." I think it starts off having the children thinking the book is about the new baby and then they realize they are little gorilla and even though they are big they are still loved.
    Anonymous

• My kids just got t-shirts that I designed that said they were the new big brother/sister. But they got them AFTER I got out of the hospital. I don't believe in giving gifts to siblings on birthdays (any birthday). They gave gifts to the baby, though. My older kids were almost 6, 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 when the youngest was born. Their gift was getting a new baby sister (and Burger King because Daddy is lazy and didn't feel like cooking the whole time I was in the hospital).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:47 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My son (who is 5) has a Big Brother shirt, and I have a V-Smile with 7 games for him I got off Craigslist for $30 as a present. Then I had him choose a stuffed animal to give to his sister. I'm not really concerned about the keepsake value of my present for my son, really. I wanted to get something he'd really like that he could also do when I was busy with the baby.

Justanotherjen, I don't do sibling gifts on birthdays, but I feel that BIRTH is kinda unique. ;)
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 12:12 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I made a care package for my friend's son when his little brother was being born. I put myself in his shoes and imagined that although getting a little brother might be exciting...sitting in the hospital might be boring too. Especially when visitors coming to the hospital aren't there to see him or pay him attention but to his little brother instead. I bought him a Thomas the Train coloring book and some crayons (for littler ones, the crayons that only write on certain surfaces are great). I think also bought him a little Thomas train to play with.

Walmart (although I don't like the store) and Target are great for things like that. Crayons+coloring books are usually under $3-$4 (combined) and additional little toys and kits are under $10. You can get them each a coloring book (usually around $1 each) and a box of crayons and a toy kit (like Polly Pocket or something) to share for under $10.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:34 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree, birth is unique to birthdays. Especially when the new little one is getting all of the attention, you don't want the other children to feel left out. You're more or less congratulating them on the addition to the family (instead of JUST congratulating the parents) and making them feel included. Birthdays are different. They have their own birthdays and shouldn't have to share them with other siblings (unless they're born on the same day of course lol).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:36 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Oh I hadn't even thought of the future birthdays, I never give anyone but the birthday girl a gift, but I have never had to because Mamaw spoils them rotten and always gives the other sister a present too. I don't mind, I wouldn't begrudge them that.
    I do like the idea of a care package of sorts, my girls do have a ton of coloring books already but I can take that idea and run with it I think. I have some ideas of what they would like. well, at least what my 6 year old would like... still thinking about the 4 year old, she is a mystery to me because she likes everything- so I have no clue what her favorites are...
    Thanks for your help ladies!
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 8:59 AM on May. 13, 2009

• im going to be having my second child in aug and i also have a son that is 9. the ideas me and lmy husband have for our 9 year old are have him make something that will include hand prints of him and then have an empty space for his little brother then have it framed and give it to him. or maybe give them a star. if you go to the star national registry website you can buy a star and tell them this is because you mean so much to me or something like that then they can feel special and if they ever get jealous of the new baby they can look up at the stars and say mommy thinks we're special :)
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 1:01 PM on May. 13, 2009