What was your experience working in an elementary school?

I've worked with elementary kids before and didn't like it,they're too independent and they talk alot.I like the little tots better.I think it would be fun though to work in an elementary school as a aide. Have you done that and did you feel pressured by the amount of work you had to do?What were your duties?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 5:55 PM on May. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was an aide and I have to say, you really have to love children(both good and bad sides) to be able to work as an aide. It takes alot of energy and patience to be an aide. You have just as much responsibility as the teacher, only without the degree and ability to plan activities. I was lucky, the teacher I had I got along with and we worked well together. Some aides aren't so lucky.

The little tots are more work, so if you can't handle the older kids who are more self-sufficient I recommend you not go that route as far as employment goes. Little kids cry more, fight more, don' t know how to share and need more one on one interaction sometimes with learning new cirriculum. They talk alot more too. Some can be sassy like the older kids too, just with a whinier voice. i liked it

I ran copies, pre-cut for those kids who couldn't, organized the classroom but had fun too being "ring leader" when it came to game time!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 6:03 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I worked as an elementary school guidance counselor, prior to having my son. Now I'm a stay at home mom, and I miss it sometimes, but I love being a stay at home mom and I'm glad I quit my job. Anyways, to answer your questions- I had a ton of duties. It's actually a lot more work than most people think. I sometimes felt pressured by the amount of work, but no more so than any other job. The hardest part for me was, unlike a teacher who just has 30 or so children to worry about, we had the entire school (and the school I worked at had about 450 children). It was overwhelming at times but very rewarding :)
    NFLplayerswife

Answer by NFLplayerswife at 12:54 AM on May. 13, 2009