Is there a legitimate reason as to why K-12 teachers don't get paid as much as they should?

It's just not fair.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:08 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• In public schools? Because administrators get their hands in the purse first.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 6:10 PM on May. 12, 2009

• How much do you think they should get paid? My friends parents are both teachers and they were both making over $100K when they retired a few years back. I'd call that a very generous salary for the work they do.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:19 PM on May. 12, 2009

• We don't value education in this country. Being an intellectual is a dirty word.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 6:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Good point Friday. I also think their is a way to much bureaucracy, from the local level on up to the federal one.

Personally, I think we should swap the pay and benefits of Congress with those of teachers. Think about it this way. You are having brain surgery. Obviously you want one that has had an excellent education and stays current with new techniques procedures and treatments. Now do you choose the surgeon that makes $30,000 per yr or the one that makes $300,000 per yr. You will probably automatically choose the higher paid one because it is life and death after all.

The point is teachers shape the lives of those that will someday run the world. Why are they not paid what that job is worth. The surgeon after all only deals with a brain at a time.

I have an autistic child. He is on the verge of being considered recovered. I huge amount of credit goes to his teachers.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:24 PM on May. 12, 2009

Wow, they don't pay anything close to that here! Not even superintendent makes $100,000 a yr.

Where did they teach? Was this public or private school?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:26 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Teachers here work 200 days a year and make 30,000 on average.That's $150 per day,that's $21.42 per hour.Actually,that's not bad for a job where you work no weekends and have off all summer!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:34 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Thanks for answering my question, TMJ. I was wondering how much they get paid. My husband only makes $3,000 more a year, and he works 50+ hours a week. I think $21/hr is more than fair. I was a daycare provider a year ago... I made $9/hr and cared for ten 2 yr olds all by myself!  I would have done anything to make $21/hr!!

OP- if you don't mind me asking...about  how much do you make, and why don't you think it's enough?

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 7:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think teachers being underpaid is grossly exaggerated. My cousin's wife landed a job before she even graduated, teaching high school science, for $42k/yr. First year out of school? No experience? If you look at the salaries for teachers across the country (the union is nice enough to publish them right on the website) and then pick random areas to compare the local teachers' salaries to local cost of living, the number is USUALLY higher. That's more than a lot of people can say, especially all the ones who have degrees and have to settle for jobs waiting tables or answering phones.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:30 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My husband is a middle school teacher and nets over $40,000/year. Do I think he is paid fairly? Yes.

We live in GA. Base salary for a certified teacher at the T-4 level (bachelor's degree) is $31,000. With a Master's degree he gets more, then he reaches "steps" after 3 years he gets a raise, 5 years another raise. He just finsihed his Master's and we believe this year is another "step" so his pay should go up to $45,000. He also coaches year round. For what he does and the time he puts into his job it is fair.

Most teachers work a 190 day contract. That's the 180 day school year, plus in service days, pre and post planning. The state has made budget cuts this year which likely won't pay for courses he has to take to keep up his certificiation (although it is current, just teachers take a course or two over the summers so technically they do not have summers off).

We do well off his salary with me being a SAHM
    simba20

Answer by simba20 at 7:31 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Oh and some states are run by teacher's unions while others are not. GA is not a union state so employment is at will (can be fired without protection from a union). Unions will also affect salaries.
    simba20

Answer by simba20 at 7:34 PM on May. 12, 2009