Do you eat very healthy? (PIOCategories in order to get as much help as possible)

I am about 69lbs overweight (5'5"&202lbs) since giving birth to my son in June08 and I am desperately trying to lose the weight. I know that it is going to take a lifestyle change which will include regular exercise and a healthy diet. The exercise part, I am pretty good on and confident with. However, the *seriously* healthy eating I am still struggling with. Not because I don't want to eat healthy nor because I don't have the means to do so but rather because I really don't know what to buy when I go to the store and make groceries. SO, I am asking for someone who is truly a healthy eater to please be so kind as to jot down the staple things that you would buy on YOUR trip to the grocery store. I know that you probably have lots more tips for me and I certainly appreciate them but this part is SO very important to me right now because I feel defeated by my own lack of knowledge in this area. Thank you in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You should be very proud of yourself. You understand that you don't need a diet, you need a healthy lifestyle (one that you can pass on to your kids).
    A few simple guidelines:
    Drink lots of water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day
    Start walking, at 20 minutes, at least three times a week.
    Eat your fruits and veggies; 7-8 serviings a day, in at least three different colors. I keep a bag of broccoli slaw (just shredded broccoli) in the refrigerator; it is great to throw in an omlette, soup, salad, stir-fry, etc.
    Start replacing your simple grains, or white foods with whole grains. Whole grains are foods like brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain bread, barley, quinoa, etc. Work your way up to 7 servings of whole grains a day.
    Cut back on, or eliminate meat and dairy.
    Eat beans, lentils, tofu.
    If you send me a message with what you like to eat, I am sure that I can send you recipes for healthy versions. -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Robin gave you some very good advice. I would also add, try making more homemade meals. Cut out soda and junk food. Don't deprive yourself though. If you MUST have a cookie, make homemade cookies. They are far healthier than store bought. If you are a milk drinker, opt for skim milk rather than 2% or whole milk.

Sweet potatoes are really good for you and delicious. Opt for mashed or baked sweet potatoes rather than white potatoes.

If you are going to follow Robin's advice and cut back on or eliminate meat make sure that you are replacing it with beans, tofu or eggs. You still need the protein.

Try to add fish/seafood to your menu (not fried) once or twice a week.

I like salads. I make a variety of salads for my family using romaine, iceberg, spinach and red leaf lettuce. You can throw in a variety of things like cucumber, tomatoes (good lycopene), hard boiled egg, fresh mushrooms, etc.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 9:20 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Cook things from scratch. Don't buy like canned biscuits and such, make your own. Here is what I buy typically:

Lots of organic fruits and vegetables, organic milk, Egglands Best eggs, Activia yogurt, Light sour cream, orange juice, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, ground turkey (can be substituted in ANY ground beef recipe), boneless skinless chicken breast, extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, baking supplies so I can do our own baking, smoked turkey sausage, dried beans, brown rice (or white if you don't like brown, but the brown is much healthier), low sodium soy sauce (to use as marinade), balsamic vinegar, cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, whole grain or whole wheat breads, tuna, vitaminwater, cereals like Special K red berries or Raisin bran, black tea, and Dreyers fruit bar popsicles or Skinny Cow ice cream treats for a small treat every now and then. It's not that hard, just make substitutions. PM me if you want.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:11 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Thank you so much ladies for all of your input. It was all very helpful to me. I am actually looking forward to going grocery shopping now that I know of some good things to buy. -OP
    Anonymous