Do you eat very healthy? (PIOCategories in order to get as much help as possible)

I am about 69lbs overweight (5'5"&202lbs) since giving birth to my son in June08 and I am desperately trying to lose the weight. I know that it is going to take a lifestyle change which will include regular exercise and a healthy diet. The exercise part, I am pretty good on and confident with. However, the *seriously* healthy eating I am still struggling with. Not because I don't want to eat healthy nor because I don't have the means to do so but rather because I really don't know what to buy when I go to the store and make groceries. SO, I am asking for someone who is truly a healthy eater to please be so kind as to jot down the staple things that you would buy on YOUR trip to the grocery store. I know that you probably have lots more tips for me and I certainly appreciate them but this part is SO very important to me right now because I feel defeated by my own lack of knowledge in this area. Thank you in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Health

• I answered this partially in another section, but did not include my grocery staples:
    enriched rice milk and soy milk, brown rice, assorted beans (dried and canned), assorted frozen veggies (esp. broccoli, chopped spinach), avocado, lettuce, rice and cow cheeses, quinoa, tofu, mushrooms, dried lentils, yves pepperoni, whole grain bread, whole wheat tortillas, chickpeas or hummus or both, salsa, soy and cow yogurts, grape tomatoes, marinara sauce, peanut butter, jelly, eggs, boca burgers, morningstar veggie dogs, whole grain hot dog and burger buns, soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, ginger, frozen blueberries, lemon juice, pancake mix, agave/maple syrup, onions, oranges, grapefruit, apples, pirate booty, succanat, whole wheat pastry flour, broccoli slaw, coffee and teas, honey, sesame stick, whole grain crackers, bernie Os, oatmeal, cold (whole grain) cereals

Answer by rkoloms at 5:24 AM on May. 13, 2009

• firstly, don't do anything you wouldn't be prepared to do for the rest of your life. a healthy eating plan isn't for 3 months, or a year, its a lifelong thing, so you have to be mentally prepared to make the changes.

get yourself a copy of the 'healthy food pyramid' it maybe old fashioned, but it truly does hve everything a healthy person needs-in the right quantity's.http://www.weight-loss-program.com/img/pyramid.gif

also, here is a useful image to figure out more practicly how much of each food type to have on your dinner plate http://dev.standupandeat.org/images/Food-on-Plate.jpg

katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 8:02 PM on May. 12, 2009

• make sure you start your day off well, by eating a filling breakfast, i like to have weetbix, personally with fruit.

eat morning and afternoon tea, as it keeps your blood sugar levels steady, so you will be less likely to crave a sugary fix.

plan your meals. never leave it till 6:00 pm to decide what you will eat for dinner that night.

go grocery shopping regularly, and make sure you have a supply of healthy foods that are quick to prepare.

if you happen to over eat, or have a huge slice of cheesecake etc. don't feel badly, everyone needs a treat now and again, it doesn't mean that you plan of healthy eating is over, see it a temporary thing, and tomorrow you will go back to eating sensibly.

katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 8:03 PM on May. 12, 2009

• make it easy for yourself to eat well, put healthy snacks in the fridge that are easy to get.

drink enough water. the body sometimes confuses the signals for hunger and thirst, so if you know that you have had enough water, its easier for your body to control its hunger signals.

eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are full. many people eat without thinking, and it takes a few minutes for the stomach to send 'full' signals to the brain, so if you are eating when you are concentrating on something else, it can be really easy to over eat.

katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 8:05 PM on May. 12, 2009

• make sure you are eating enough fruit and veg. the body needs the nutrients from a variety of fruit and veg, and if its lacking in something, you will often crave certain foods-often unhealthy ones, if your diet has been unhealthy, because even unhealthy foods have small amount of vitamins and minerals, so if your body has learned that it can get a tiny amount form a certain food-say dairy form ice cream, then it will crave ice cream simply for the calcium-even though its definitely not the best source!

try out sauces for putting with veggies if you don't like the taste, even fruit can be dipped into sauce!

grate vegies into meat dishes, you probably wont notice the taste, but its much better for you.

katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 8:06 PM on May. 12, 2009

• if you don't like exercise, try to just do 'incidental' exercise, like park your car further from the store, vacuum to music-that helps you up the energy, as most people feel encouraged to dance a little as they work or take the stairs instead of the lift.

~~i put on nearly 70 pounds with each of my kids, and lost it both times, so i understand how hard weight loss can be, but its definitely possible!~~

i apologize for the many, many replies, its just a subject very close to me, as i know firsthand what its like :)

katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 8:09 PM on May. 12, 2009