HOW OLD IS TOO OLD TO BE TTC?

YOU KNOW I SEE ALOT OF WOMEN ON HERE TTC AT A AGE I DONT THINK THEY SHOULD, FOR MEDICAL REASONS AND THERE ARE SOME WHO ARE TTC FOR THE FIRST TIME AT A UNACCEPTABLE AGE. IM 34 AND THIS IS MY LAST BABY AND I WILL BE 35 ONCE I DELIVER BUT THE DOCS ARE ON MY ASS TO LET ME KNOW THAT IM AT THAT AGE FOR GENETIC TESTING AND POSSIBLE A AMNIO (WHICH IM NOT GOING TO DO). IM JUST WONDERING WHAT DO YOU MOMS TO BE AND PREGGO MOMS THINK ABOUT THESE OLDER WOMEN GETTING PREGNANT AT A OLD AGE OR TTC AT A UNACCEPTABLE AGE.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• 35 is the limit....god speed though. To each their own. Your life not mine. BUT in my opinion, for the health of mommy and baby lets stay under the age of 33. Plus, I had a child young (21) because I wanted to be able to do everything with my son as if I were a kid too. The older you get, you just simply arent as limber lol.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:34 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think as long as you are aware of the risks you should be free to TTC at any age you feel appropriate. I know the risks go up at 35 but will continue to TTC at that age if I want more children. I am pregnant with my first due in September, I turn 30 in February. I didn't get married until 26 and it took us 3 years to get pregnant with the help of a fertility specialist. We know we would like to have at least 2 children and plan to wait at least a year or two after this one before trying again. No telling how long it will take to conceive the second since we had such trouble with the first but I will not let my age be a deciding factor.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 7:12 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Well I am not real sure what the supoosed cut off age is, my grandmother had children all the way up to menopause (true catholics lol), I wanted to have my kids young so I was able to physically do more with them. We had our first at 19 (unplanned), our second at 22 and third at 25. I however would have had 3 more but my cut off to have kids is 30, and I am now 28. But that's my own preference, to each there own and whatever makes them happy is what I say! If you ,OP, are happy with your age and preganancy I wouldn't worry about what other's think.
    Anonymous

• Some of us haven't had a choice! Having had an ectopic pregnancy at 22 and several miscarriages, I am FINALLY carrying a baby to term and will be 40 when I deliver. Judging someone who's having a baby simply because of their age is ridiculous you have no idea what their circumstances are.

I am more stable, financially (than most people who are even my age), know who I am and have done things I want to do and am therefore more settled than a lot of younger people I know.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 7:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think that age limit should be up to the husband and wife to decide for themselves. I had my 3rd baby at 41 and my 4th at 42 and they are both perfect! Yes, statistically the risks do go up, but, that's something you just go into the situation knowing. Both of our "late in life blessings" were surprises... no, make that BIG SURPRISES! But, we're having a blast with them and our 24 yr old daughter & 18 yr old son are absolutely stupid in love with them. They have really livened up our lives and brought back a ton of fun!!! They are now 2 & 3 yrs old. I don't think there is necessarily an "unacceptable" age. If the couple are up for it, it's acceptable for them.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 8:02 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My mother and two aunts had kids around all 37 are healthy teenagers now. if you are healthy and no the risks it is up you. Enjoy your little one.
    Shelly922731

Answer by Shelly922731 at 8:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't think there is such a thing as "too old" to be TTC as long as the parents to be accept the risks that can come with it.
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 10:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My Dr. doesn't like to see women trying to have children past 35. But i think as long as you know and are willing to accept that you are risking you and your babies health somewhat, then go for it. But I also think that people in there late 30's have less patience and are more set in their ways. I would love to have another but my DH will be 40 this year and he says he is too old! My SIL had a 11 year old and decided to have another baby at 39 and needless to say the baby is not right and they can't even figure out what is wrong with him and I see them having such a hard time dealing with it!
    Anonymous

• My mother just had a baby nearly 2yrs ago, she's 47 this year, the baby is perfectly fine, but things can still happen with the baby's health for up to 3 & half years of age. It's a risk for both baby and mother. In my personal opinion, I don't believe that my mother should of made that decision being how risky the circumstances hold ahead for her and baby. It was more ridiculous being my mother lost both of the children that she had. I ran away at 16 and my half brother is in the foster system. I just wish that these older women approaching their 50's would adopt,...there's children out there that need homes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on May. 13, 2009

• FOR ME I THINK 35 SHOULD BE THE LIMIT CAUSE I THINK THE OLDER YOU ARE THE HARDER IT WILL BE AND THE RISKS OF BIRTH DEFECT BECOMES MORE AT RISK. MY DAD IS 52 AND HIS GIRL IS 40 AND SHE IS PREGNANT WITH THERE FIRST CHILD I AM SO MAD ABOUT THAT SHE IS SO OVER 35 AND HE IS SO OVER THE HILL AND UNDER IT, HE SHOULD BE BANNED FROM HAVING KIDS HE DIDNT EVEN TAKE CARE OF ME AND MY BROTHER THEN HAD THE NERVES TO GET PREG AT HIS AGE, HE IS TOOO OLD AND SHE WELL SHE IS A WHOLE ANOTHER STORY. THE FACT IS I THINK ANYONE WHO HAS A CHILD IN THERE 40'S IS TO DAMN OLD AT LEAST FOR CHILD BEARING.
    Anonymous