How does it feel to be a single mom.

As a single mom I would like to know about other single moms

Chinita69

Asked by Chinita69 at 6:33 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Actually I'm going to probably get bashed but I generally love being a single mother. It's hard some times but most of the hardship for me has to do with $ and schedualing (like getting her places she needs to be).

Sometimes I look at married women and I have NO idea how they maintain their relationships with their husbands and take care of their children. Having never known that sort of experience it looks to me so taxing.

I don't have to worry about my daughter going around me to get things I've said no to. I have ultimate control over my house hold. I don't have to negotiate rules with anyone else or put up with some one else having child care beliefs I don't agree with. Yes I have to be the bad guy and the good guy at the same time.

And my daughter and I are extremely close for it as well.

That said I have an extremely supportive and helpful family which makes things much easier than most have it.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 6:39 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I am going to have to agree with TabathaM- I am a single mom of three boys, unfortunately, only one of their Dads is even involved with them. I agree that it is hard some times, well, a lot of times, I don't like that their Dads arent there for them. This just makes us closer and stronger as a family of 4. My boys and I are very close, and always have been. I, too look at my married friends, and even family members, and wonder how THEY do it? On Mothers Day, I read countless posts from women who were actually COMPLAINIING about their SO or husbands and what they did/did not do for them on Mother's Day. Some people don't know what they'e got. Someone else with them to enjoy their child's first steps, the first day of school, Graduation from 8th grade, sleeping in, or even all night! Someone just to bounce things off...I am really not complaining, but I know that I enjoyed being a MOTHER on Mother's Day, and every day
    mommyof3xy

Answer by mommyof3xy at 7:04 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It's definitely hard, but it's also got its points that are much easier. The money and scheduling are big issues. But I also don't have someone who can try to overrule me, and let my kids have their way when I say no. It sucks being the only one who disciplines and always being hated for it, but it's great to get all their hugs and kisses when they're not in trouble. It bites when I have to lose time at work, and therefore money, when one of them gets sick, but it's wonderful not having to confer with someone else when a decision needs to be made about how to treat their illness, or anything else. My kids and I are very close, and as much as we struggle sometimes, I don't think I'd want it any other way.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:23 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I agree with all the above and I think I have formed a closer bond with my daughter than I ever would have had staying in my miserable relationship... and like tabatha said you have to be the good guy and the bad guy but it has it's benefits as well. I myself have looked at women that are married with kids and see the struggles they have negotiating rules and such my daughters dad has just started coming around she's 4 1/2 and she makes sure to tell him that her mom is boss.haha
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 7:46 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It's tough. But I take pride in knowing that I'm doing a job meant for two people, and doing it well!
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 11:39 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I love being a single mom. It's hard, but I don't have to share her. :) And I don't have a husband to argue with or anything, or in-laws! It's nice. Sometimes I miss the cuddling though. You know, with a full sized person? hehe
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:14 AM on May. 13, 2009