What do you think of moms that go out at night to clubs/bars and leave their baby with a s/o or caregiver?

Would you ever do this? Is this bad parenting? I would feel weird going out to a place like that with my baby at home!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• On occasion I think it is great for mommy to get out and have fun!! But out of habit its wrong. As long as you know your child is in good hands and you arent getting drunk beyound care of your child..its all okay. IMO
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:35 PM on May. 12, 2009

• No, it's not bad parenting. How is leaving your child with their father bad parenting? That's just plain stupid. It would be bad parenting if they left the baby at home alone. I don't know why women on this site constantly act as though once you have a child, you should never leave their side and you should lose your whole identity and individuality. It's ridiculous!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:36 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think it depends on, How old your baby is, if your breastfeeding, and if your responsible enough to go out have a few drinks ( without coming home sh*t-faced).
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 6:36 PM on May. 12, 2009

• ohhh, and if you trust the person at home staying with your baby.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 6:37 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Depends on how often I guess. But I see how you might feel wierd about it because as moms we feel like we need to be 'good girls' all the time and not have crazy fun at a bar lol
    ShannonLeigh02

Answer by ShannonLeigh02 at 6:38 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i've gone out to a few bars since i've had my daughter. i didn't go to any til she was sleeping through the night and we lived near family, so my mother could come sit at my house until i got home or victoria could just spend the night at grandmas. how does going out to have a few drinks make someone irresponsible? the OP specifically said leaving baby with their SO (i would assume that is daddy) or a sitter, which is the responsible thing to do, its better than leaving the kid alone or even in the car at the club while they are getting trashed. i mean come on so now is it also irresponsible for us to go to the mall, or out to dinner with a girlfriend?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:52 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think it would be okay occasionally. The gals my husband works with do a girl's night every now and then and go into town to the club or something. I haven't gone b/c the one time I was invited my daughter got sick, and I backed out to stay home because I was too worried about her.
    I think even if she were perfectly well I would feel a little bad leaving her and hubby and going out, but I know it's okay. We just feel guilt in general being away from them, don't we? And for something like going to the bar- it feels really hard to justify. But if my husband can do that every now and then, why can't I? I definitely would have gone to my sister-in-law's bachelorette party if I could have- and that was an all-day, all-night deal. We can have some fun!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 6:55 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Every now and then ok, but every weekend or every other night is pushing it. JMO
    Anonymous

• Yes its okay for a Mom to actually have a life outside of the home~ :) WHY NOT?? Men are very much doing it and often.
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 6:59 PM on May. 12, 2009

• With or without a child, going out more often than not is not the healthiest thing. You are usually drinking, spending too much money, and not getting enough sleep. It can be fun, but over a long term period, it drains you.

Why can't a mom go out sometimes? What a silly idea, that in becoming a parent you are no longer to go out? I have two kids, both little, and while I find the bar scene old and tired, I like to go out dancing sometimes. It's fun.

As a parent, it is important to still have an identity other than someone's mommy. What will you do when Baby is 18? And leaves? I enjoy my time away from my kids. They also enjoy being with other people. I don't do it a lot, but learning to exist seperately is good for all. And as I leave my kids mostly with their father, unless he and I are out together, I think it's good for him and the kids to have time that is just theirs, without mommy.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 7:00 PM on May. 12, 2009