How can I get my son to stop biting himself?

My son is six and continues to bite himself. He is leaving serious marks on his arm and it almost seems like half the time he doesn't even know he is doing it. He does it when he is watching TV or when he is nervious.

ntoureau

Asked by ntoureau at 6:34 PM on May. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• he may be going through something and he cant express it. this may be, to him, his onkly way of expressing himself of what hes feeling. gl. :)
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 6:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Have you taken him to the Dr and discussed it with them? My daughter smacks herself and my doctor told me that was common with children with ADD to do when they're nervious or need stimulation.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 6:43 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Older kids use 'cutting' as a way to internalize their pain or emotions, I agree that this may be a way for him to express himself when he doesn't know how. Maybe you could take him to a child psychologist who could talk to him and see if they can figure out what is going on in his little mind.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 8:11 PM on May. 12, 2009

• This is definitely a comfort thing - anytime a child this age puts things in their mouth like that it's because they need comforting - but the fact that he's also causing himself pain I would definitely talk to his pediatrician.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• #1 Talk to the ped.
    #2 give him gum or a jolly rancher to stimulate his mouth and see if you can replace that behavior...

good luck!!
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 3:37 PM on May. 13, 2009