What amount should a 19 year old pay for room and board?

My son is 19 and has decided that he will be taking a break from college this summer. We have told him in the past if he is not going to school he is to pay room and board. He currently is at the house approx. 2 to 8 hours a day, eats some of our food and does some of his own laundry. However thats it. He doesn't help with anything else including keeping his room clean LOL! What do you think would be a fair amount for room and board (this would go towards electric, gas, food etc. bills)?

momofne

Asked by momofne at 6:51 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• i would first tell him if he's paying rent than he is also responsible for his own room and all of his laundry. i would say $300-$400 is reasonable if he doesn't have a car payment to make, if he does than i would take that into account and figure it out from there. the point of him paying room and board at home is that it is cheaper and you can still keep an eye on him whereas if he were in an apartment it'd be expected that he pay much more.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:54 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I would tell him $250-$300 a month and he needs to clean hes room and do his own wash if he has you do his wash (not that you would want him to) i would change him $50 a month and thats 3 loads a week. If he has a problem with that then he can go a rent an apartment go to the lanudry mat and buy his own food. Hes 19 he is adult treat him like one but he also needs to remember hes under your roof to.
    Anonymous

• I think $200/month would be a good amount...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:08 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think $250 is reasonable. I would also expect him to clean his own room and do his own laundry.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 7:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• $350
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:24 PM on May. 12, 2009

• $250 but that comes with responsibilities: clean his room, do his laundry, clean up after himself in general and it wouldnt kill him to help with house/yard work.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 7:45 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I have told my 20 yr old that he has to pay $100.00 mo, because he's looking for his own place, he will need a deposit and first mo rent, so I have to consider that he will need to get on his feet and get started. If he moves out and ends up coming back, then he will be charged more.
    nanacookies

Answer by nanacookies at 11:31 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Totally depends on where you live and what the going market rate would be. NY, CA, Boston and DC are lot more expensive than middle America. What about health insurance? If he is currently covered as a dependant then he losses that. It could easily run 600-800 a month to replace it.
    Anonymous

• 200-400 a month depending on where you live and his salary (if it makes you feel better you can also put some away for him later) but also set RULES -- on cleanliness etc. and make a fine chart. If you end up cleaning the room and/or the stink is bothring you there is a $25 fine, he should also be washing his own dishes etc. when he uses them and taking turns when its the whole family. Charge for all of that. Make a poster/flyer what ever and give it to him.
    HOWEVER, I do understand taking some time off of school esp. if its his first year (lready used to summers off). BUT... I understand you wanting to MAKE SURE he understands that you mean it, school or work. Maybe he'll decide to take a couple of classess. LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:33 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I financed my semester off, including a place to live. My parents were not supposed to just let me hang out. I'm an adult, and I don't get a break. Everyone's talking about wanting a break. Do you get one? Could you just stop your responsibilities and hang out? No. You are not helping him become an adult if you don't encourage him to be one. Charge him, and make him a part of household chores. You do not do his laundry, he needs to stop being lazy and clean his room, and he needs to take an active part in maintaining the house he lives in.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:47 PM on May. 13, 2009