Any tips for going organic?

I have no idea where to start.

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 7:12 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Health

• To avoid the preservatives eat less processed foods and do more homecooking. It's not expensive and much better for you. Organic food can get expensive depending how hard core you intend to go. For instance, I buy organic fruit, vegetables and meat, but I don't buy EVERYTHING organic. Read labels. I buy regular pastas, as I don't see any need to opt for Organic pasta based on the ingredients.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 9:32 PM on May. 12, 2009

• ya .... dont
    its a trend and is pointless and expensive
    Anonymous

• You have to read the packages or signs. I guess go to a place like Whole Foods or Trader Joes. Be prepared to spend more.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Shop at Whole Foods or look for organic things in the grocery store. Read packages- no dyes or things that you have no clue what they are. Good luck and it is a good idea to do this. It will be more expensive. Grow your own vegetables without fertilizer or pesticides.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 7:30 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Anon:12, it's not the price I'm concerned about (it's not THAT much more). It's the over-all health of my family. I've discovered the nasty things being put into foods as preservatives and etc, and I am going to start eating organic, as well as change things around my house for our health.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:37 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Conventional foods (non-organic) are engineered for the purposes of lowering cost & raising shelf life. Organic foods are grown for nutrition and flavor. While organics can cost more, there are ways to save. Rather than buy organic meats, buy beans, lentils, tofu. Whole grains (brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads) have much more protein and nutrients than simple/white grains. When you buy an item labeled organic, you know that you are not buying genetically modified frankenfoods (GMOs). For produce, I follow this guide for what should/ not be purchased organic: http://www.foodnews.org/EWG-shoppers-guide-download-final.pdf
    For any soy, wheat, rice or corn products, I only buy organic, unless I know that the product is non-GMO. I buy mostly organic dairy and only RBGH-free. There are many sites for coupons and recipes, and I have a huge recipe archive; feel free to contact me directly for more information.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:11 AM on May. 13, 2009