if you can donate milk why not...

ok i am wondering why you cant sell your breastmilk but can donate it to a milk bank.. and then they sell it at outragous prices to someone who wants to buy it? where does the money go? and why should it be illegal to sell it? i kinda think that is messed up... if the bank is profitting then why not the women how produce it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I suppose you could sell it privately? Like, under the table?
    Anonymous

• you cant on ebay or craigs list
    melis1029

Answer by melis1029 at 7:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• No but I'm sure you could find someone looking to buy it online somehow.
    Anonymous

• I thinkit would work just like a spem benk would don you think? you provide the product they pay for it.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 7:24 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I d/k I do know that it would be a pain to donate milk. I would rather be a wet nurse.(If i was a single mother.)
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 7:50 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I have checked into this and the reason they say they charge so much is that they do all sorts of testing to it before they sell it. I suppose they would have to or they could be responsible for any diseases/illnesses/drugs in the milk. I had a preemie and had to pump all my milk for him to be fed through a feeding tube, and when he was allowed to nurse he just wasnt strong enough to nurse. Then he lost interest. After successfully BF my two other children, I finally took donatied milk from a nurse that I worked with in the NICU. I knew her med hx, she offered it up, and I knew her very well. She had been pumping at work for 6 months and her baby refused a bottle- never took one -EVER. so I hit the jackpot and my son got all the breast milk he needed, and all the benefits of healthy breastmilk for his first 6 months.
    mommyof3xy

Answer by mommyof3xy at 1:23 AM on May. 13, 2009

• i think the idea of that is gross, even though its healthy for the baby-
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on May. 13, 2009