has any one else had problems breast feeding and it got better

my baby is now 1 month and has a shallow latch and won't flip his lips out
Will it get easier as he gets older

Heathermom09

Asked by Heathermom09 at 7:24 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It should. My 2nd and 3rd had such tiny little mouths. They didn't latch on to much at all but as their mouths got bigger they latched on to more, and it hurt a lot less!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:26 PM on May. 12, 2009

• visit with a lactation consultant and see if they can help. I had horrible problems with my daughter and it did eventually get better but it took about 3 months. Good luck.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 7:27 PM on May. 12, 2009

• yup
    :)
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:27 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes! Have you tried using a nipple shield? I had to use it at first with both my kids. He will get the hang of it sooner or later just gotta keep with it and dont give up. I applaud you for breastfeeding. Not many weman do these days.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 7:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It got worse with my daughter. Each day was worse and worse. Even the two lactation consultants at the hospital couldnt get her to latch on. We had to go to formula after a few weeks of trying cause she was loosing so much weight.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:32 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I had a horrible time until my son was 6 weeks old. I just would keep unlatching my son until he did it right. He would get SO mad but it only took 3 days of constant correction (prior to that I would try but would usually just let him eat with a poor latch which hurt SO bad!)
    After we got it fixed he gained 4 lbs and 3 inches that month!!! He's now nearly 10 months, 22 lbs and 31 inches!
    I found the best tool online about asymetrical latch... it's what I used to fix it.
    I should also add my son had been on a shield and at 6 weeks is when I took it away because it was making it worse and he was getting lazy and not opening his mouth.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:45 PM on May. 12, 2009

• First, it will get better! Spend lots of time everyday skin to skin (you with your shirt off and him in only a diaper) Has baby been checked for tongue tie or any other problems that may make it hard for him to get a deep latch? Here is a link to some good info When Latching

Go to a local La Leche League Meeting! You will very likely meet other moms who have been through what you are going through!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:50 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yeah. Just about everyone has a hard beginning. After the first 6 weeks, you're usually in the clear. Definitely see a lactation consultant so baby doesn't get used to the bad latch.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:53 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Yes ... I can tell you from experience it will get better. My son now 3 months old would not breastfeed at first no matter what i tried and noone understood noteven my midwives. I am really large chested ,i still think thats what it was, but for whatever reason he could not latch on I got so frustrated I started pumping and just giving him that and then just kept trying like once a day to b-feed he finally just caught on out of the blue he was like 6 weeks old and he's been fine every since. I guess some babies just need time to get the concept of it.
    cwinniebear24

Answer by cwinniebear24 at 7:40 PM on May. 13, 2009