Is life over when you become a mom?

Do you have to be completely selfless and never do anything but parent your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Life isn't over when you become a Mom. I love being a Mom! I can't imagine myself without my son.
    Anonymous

• Your life is no longer your own. Life as you knew it ceases to exist. Not that you can never have fun, but you have to put your child 's needs before your own wants. That's just the wat it is!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 7:33 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I guess it would be for you if that is your opinion. However, My life didn't begin until I had my kids. They are grown now, and I have grandchildren. I have free time 75% of the time, but you know what, I would give anything for my children and my grandchildren. Yes, even my own life.
    Anonymous

• i would say that if you were a big partier before then you probably couldnt do that but being a parent is fun and its a whole new life with someone that is part of you. just make time for yourself as much as you can. no your life is not over
    jac1908

Answer by jac1908 at 7:33 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Life has only just begun at motherhood. :)
    TaiyoandMe

Answer by TaiyoandMe at 7:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

• no
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:42 PM on May. 12, 2009

• No, you don't. But you will look at things differently and things that once seemed important will become trivial to you. What you used to define as "life" may well seem a bit silly to you.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:42 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Just because you are a mom doesn't mean you have to stop being an individual. While you spend most of your time taking care of your kids you have to make sure you make time for yourself, whether it's having a girls night out or just getting out of the house for a while to do something fun without the kids. If mom's happy then the kids will be also.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:43 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It sometimes feel like parts of my life are over. I used to do a lot of theatre, and I miss it sooooo much. I'm actually thinking about trying to get in with a show this summer. My hubby will be home a lot, so maybe he can help with DD and I can do something fun. It's hard though. I still do some things I love. I still watch movies, scrapbook, read.

I suppose it's not that your life is over.. it's just a new chapter of your life. If all you did before kids was party, drink, smoke, stay out until 2am, then yes, it will probably feel like your life is over. But you just have to think about the other things you enjoy, that you can still do, things at home. Their childhoods go by so fast, you have to view it as a new adventure, not the end of your life.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:43 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Sometimes it feels that way, but no -- life is definitely NOT over when you become a parent. It's only just begun.

There are going to be some things you just can't do any more. Like spending every night with your friends, or leaving in the middle of the day to go get your hair done (that's hard to do with an infant). But most of the time, there are ways to get around the little setbacks. You have to make sure you keep your OWN identity and be yourself -- only part of your life is being a mom. Every second of every day does not have to revolve around your children. And it shouldn't -- you can't be a good mom if you're not at your best, and you're not at your best if you can't at least take a little time out for yourself.
    oh__you

Answer by oh__you at 8:14 PM on May. 12, 2009