I cant get my 3 year old to use they potty.I have tried bribing her wit stickers,candy,toys and even staying at grammys.Nothin is working I need help please....

She has a 1 year old sister who still uses diapers.

mommyor2girls

Asked by mommyor2girls at 7:31 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son went through the same thing. When he/she is ready...they will do it. It sucks.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:34 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Give it a break for a few weeks or a month...don't pressure her and don't stress her. Just ask her on occasion if she wants to use the potty, but don't bride, cajole or otherwise make her feel like she needs to use it to make you or anyone else happy. Potty learning should be done in a way to let her feel like she has accomplished something. She'll use the potty when she's ready, not when you are. Let's face it, not all kids have bladder control when we want them to, and that, it seems, is what drives potty learning - bladder control and learning to read our own signals. Be patient and good luck.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• The problem is shes gained control and you've lost it with the bribing. I'm a nanny and this is a common and huge mistake. My suggestion, and I've seen this work dozens of times, lose all diapers and pull ups and put her in panties only, even if you're going out in public. Tell her that if she doesn't go to the bathroom on the potty that she will have to clean up the mess. If she's in Target and pees or poops all over the place don't react at all just pull out paper towels and say "Clean up the floor" make her do it then calmly take her to the restroom and make her clean herself up and make her change her own clothes. She'll stop doing it fast. She'll realize you aren't going to support the issue any longer.Do not react ever. Don't praise or punish just make her clean herself up. She'll get bored and grossed out. It works every time. Yes it will be annoying to you for a bit but stick with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on May. 13, 2009