Child won't take Homo or Formula!

My child will be turning 1 May 17th & I'am still breastfeeding but I've noticed that I'am starting to dry up. I've tried giving him Formula & Homo Milk but he won't take either. I think I've tried everything to try to get him to take either or but does anyone have any suggestions or little tricks that I could try that might help me to get him to start taking either or.

LilCutiePie

Asked by LilCutiePie at 7:33 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep offering it. Like any new food or drink, it may take some time getting used to. At that age, milk isn't their main source of nutrition anymore, usually they are on table foods or at least baby foods. I read somewhere that it takes up to ten tries to get a kid used to a new taste. I'd just keep offering it!
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 7:35 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Keep offering but don't sweat it. The drying up probably is merely additional adustments to solids...you're not supposed to feel full and pumping output never means a thing.

He doesn't need milk. The nutrients are in the foods you give. Water is fine for hydration.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:36 PM on May. 12, 2009

• dont bother with formula he is a few days shy of 1
    just try reg milk
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:38 PM on May. 12, 2009

• If you nurse 3 times a day he will get enough from you, unless you are taking hormonal BCP or pregnant if he nurses that milk will be there and just enough...try some 2% milk or even rice milk(its sweeter) for now...your milk is whole milk so he'll be ok
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:33 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Taicat is right. Most 12 month olds are only nursing a few times a day, which means you don't have a lot of milk because he is not needing a lot of milk. Just keep nursing him a few times a day as you gradually try to introduce the milk. I'd stick with milk as it will taste better than formula. Check out the info at Nutrition for Nursing Toddlers

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:47 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I agree with the moms who said just keep on nursing. I'm nursing my 28 month old and sometimes I think there is no milk left but there is.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:57 PM on May. 12, 2009

• keep on nursing!
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 9:34 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Thank you all! You even anwsered my question about how much milk they should be having a day & if he nurses 3 times a a day he gets enough & has his water. Formula I will not try anymore & So Good (Soya) is another good idea. I don't think I will beable to breastfeed much longer because when he does feed off my sometimes it hurts likes its pulling & theres nothing there. Maybe thats normal, I will look it up.
    LilCutiePie

Answer by LilCutiePie at 2:04 PM on May. 13, 2009