Why is Socialist still a dity word?

It seems as though people are still base a lot of the politics on McCarthyism and the Cold War. How is helping our fellow man bad.

fireball1978

Asked by fireball1978 at 7:36 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The reasons for Socialism no longer exist. Socialism has expanded to apply to everything from social security to having a community crayon bucket in kindergarten, but Marx's original concept was for the oppressed workers to overthrow their employers and take over the companies BECAUSE they were abused, not given basic human rights and treated like machines. Fast forward to today, where most Western nations have some equivalents of both OSHA and the Dept of Labor. In Europe, where he intended it the happen, they have even shorter average working weeks than we do in the US.

The initial reasoning behind it is gone, and attempts to enact it now are nothing more than social engineering by people who either romanticize it without examining the reality or manipulate it for personal gain (Chavez, etc).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:48 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I have not heard that it's a dirty word. I must have missed the memo.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:37 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:37 PM on May. 12, 2009

• From dictionary.com:

soâ‹…cialâ‹…ism
      /ˈsoʊʃəˌlɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [soh-shuh-liz-uhm] Show IPA
    –noun
    1. a theory or system of social organization that advocates the vesting of the ownership and control of the means of production and distribution, of capital, land, etc., in the community as a whole.
    2. procedure or practice in accordance with this theory.
    3. (in Marxist theory) the stage following capitalism in the transition of a society to communism, characterized by the imperfect implementation of collectivist principles.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:38 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I help my "fellow man" because I want to. NOT because I am mandated to. Funny how if EVERYONE did what was right, than there wouldn't need to be mandated rules to dictate who and how much people are entitled to and who and how much others are required to pay.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:42 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Chavez is a socialist... that alone should make it out to be a dirty word.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:42 PM on May. 12, 2009

• If you've had the chance to live in a socialist country, as I have, you would understand how undesirable the system is.

It's not hell-fire and horror, but it's very undesirable.
    Anonymous

• I don't like the idea of Socialism because, although it looks great on paper, it has not worked in any country that has tried it. Like gdiamante quoted..... it leads to communism because of it's "imperfect implementation of collectivist principles". Our founding fathers were smart enough to foresee the consequences of giving all the money and power to a small selective group. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 7:44 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Anon :43 I said it earlier in a different question, but last night I had a very sweet Venezuelan woman come to my home. We got into the conversation of Chavez and what it is like over there now. I felt so terrible for her family who was still there. Socialism is down right SCARY imo.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:47 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Way to go Manco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 7:48 PM on May. 12, 2009