Does Vicks help croup?

My son was a premmie and has had a history of RSV, Bronchialitis, etc. Hes coming down with croup and a cold, which invariably preceed a bad couple of weeks. We just bought a new humidifier for his room and its vicks compatable, I was wondering if the vicks would help or hinder the cough?

davidsco

Asked by davidsco at 7:38 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• No, it might even make it worse.
    I would run the shower and sit in the streamy bathroom for a bit.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:54 PM on May. 12, 2009

• You could try and you would know pretty quickly. I have a preemie like that too, and I have used vicks in his bath and that seemed to help a little, unless he was really sick, but by then, you already have an idea whats going on with them. I also work as a respiratory therapist at a hospital and dont know of any contraindications of using vicks in humidifier unless sensitivity is known. The hot steamy shower is a tried and true help as well, but when it gets bad- you know they need a neb treatment or visit to ER. Hope it helps :)
    mommyof3xy

Answer by mommyof3xy at 1:15 AM on May. 13, 2009

• From my experience with croup and my boys...don't use ANYTHING!

Do what you would normally for a cold. When the croup is active, steam in the bathroom and/or go out in the cool air. (if it's not cool or is too cold where you are, standing in front of the freezer and breathing works wonders, too.

Croup is a virus in the throat. In adults, it's laryngitis. It causes the windpipe to inflame, it's not congestion. (which is why vicks won't do anything) Don't do anything to put irritants into the air as that could cause more irritation in the throat and make it harder for them. (learned that one from experience!) Don't give any cold medicines or anything designed to "dry them up"...it WILL make it worse and you WILL end up in the ER! (yeah...experienced that one, too)

Croup is at the worst for the first three days. After that it's usually just dealing with the normal cold symptoms.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:45 AM on May. 13, 2009