How would you handle this? (Lazy MIL pees on herself)

It's tough to say anything nice about my MIL, but I really do try to be civil and keep the peace. She recently went through her second hip surgery a month ago, paid for by the state. Today was the first time since before she left for surgery that she actually took a shower. We also found out the she's been so lazy to get up off her recliner to walk 10 feet to use the bathroom, that she's been wearing adult diapers. The man that she lives with (we think they're bf-gf) took her diapers away from her because he thought it was gross. Now's she sits in her recliner and pees her pants. She's only turning 55 years old...and I don't think she is behaving her age. I think she needs psychological help...more so than what she is already getting. My husband is taking her to the doctor soon and is hoping to get a chance to speak with him and let him know what's going on. How would you deal with this!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Health

• I'd give her diapers back. At least it's more sanitary.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:55 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Um...hip surgery. She needs help with her recovery, and I wouldn't bash the use of diapers.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:57 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I agree, she needs the diapers back. And a pysch evaluation. It is not normal for her to be wetting herself. Is she being abused by the bf? She sounds like she has some real problem...please seek help for her soon.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:57 PM on May. 12, 2009

• The government gave her 2 brand new hips so she could walk and she sits on her butt too lazy to take proper care of herself.
    Anonymous

• She may need physical therapy.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:58 PM on May. 12, 2009

• No, she's absolutely not being abused...she's lucky that man is there to help take care of her. She has a therapist come in regularly to help her recover but if that therapist isn't there, she's not walking.
    Anonymous

• A month isn't long enough to recover from the surgery. Sounds like she isn't getting the right kind of aftercare :(
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:01 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I had a hip bone out of alignment last year and went through six months of physical therapy (no surgery). I thought I'd die some days it hurt so bad to move. Give her back the diapers. The older we get the longer it takes to heal. We old folks tire easily and depression sets in easily. Pain sucks. It will take her a long time to feel better. cut her some slack. If I had diapers I'd have used them myself. It was horrible getting up to go to the bathroom. I did have to wear pads to make sure I didn't have an accident before I could get in there bc no one is here to clean it up but me.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:03 PM on May. 12, 2009

• id give her back the diapers right away. have you talked to her about this? as others have suggested, it may be depression, or pain.
    it sounds as if you have a long established dislike for her, so this may be clouding your judgment.
    talk to her, please, you may find that the situation is far from what you thought.
    Anonymous

• ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    i woul dhave her mental state checked out
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:59 PM on May. 12, 2009