Is it possible to work on more than one concurrent Master's degree?

As an undergraduate, I have been double-majoring in English and Rhetoric&Writing. These two areas of study, while related, are not identical. I thought about taking up Creative Writing as a third major, but my adviser insisted that I am so close to graduating and it would take me even longer to take on this third degree. I want to be marketable to potential employers, and I think having more than one degree will help with that. My ultimate goal is to become a college professor, which of course will require a Doctorate unless I plan on being an adjunct (which pays less and the hours aren't guaranteed from one semester to the next), but I have no idea how long grad school is going to take, and need to be able to maintain employment in the interim.

LunasMama

Asked by LunasMama at 8:04 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have 2 Masters-- MSN and MBA. They are 7 years apart but, none the less each was hard work and well worth the time. Now I am looking for a different job and hope to find one in teaching.
    irishtwins30907

Answer by irishtwins30907 at 9:33 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes but I would personally never do it. I wouldn't double major as an undergrad either because from my experience of people that did, all they did was waste time and money. If you are looking into getting a masters, employers will look at that and not so much what you majored in as undergrad. I graduated with my BA in communications and then started law school. Unless someone only plans on getting a bachelors degree, I think you can pretty much major in something related and it won't make to much of a difference. My s/o has two bachelors degrees. One is in math and the other is in electrical engineering. He felt he had to go back as an undergrad to refresh his skills to gear his career towards EE. He knows now that he wasted a lot of time. He later got his masters and Phd in EE.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:13 PM on May. 12, 2009

• my professor said getting two Master's is costly and I shouldn't do it. She said concentrate on one then go for Doctorate.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yea, it's possible, but I don't think it's a good idea..especially for a mom with a toddler. I'm working on my ONE Master's right now..and wow. It's hard enough.
    discokittten

Answer by discokittten at 8:36 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I would get a masters and then your doctorate. You are going to need a doctorate to be a professor anyway. Why take the extra time to get a second masters when you can put that time towards your doctorate?
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 10:01 PM on May. 12, 2009

• "I would get a masters and then your doctorate. You are going to need a doctorate to be a professor anyway. Why take the extra time to get a second masters when you can put that time towards your doctorate?"

I see your point, kind of; I meant concurrent, as in at the same time. So I wouldn't be spending an extra time on the extra degree as far as years total. But of course it would be extra time each day/week/month.
    LunasMama

Answer by LunasMama at 12:18 AM on May. 13, 2009

• "I have 2 Masters-- MSN and MBA. They are 7 years apart but, none the less each was hard work and well worth the time. Now I am looking for a different job and hope to find one in teaching."

Awesome.
    LunasMama

Answer by LunasMama at 12:19 AM on May. 13, 2009

• "Yea, it's possible, but I don't think it's a good idea..especially for a mom with a toddler. I'm working on my ONE Master's right now..and wow. It's hard enough."

How old is your little one again? My daughter will be three when I graduate with my two bachelor's degrees. I'm not sure how long one Master's degree is supposed to take.
    LunasMama

Answer by LunasMama at 12:20 AM on May. 13, 2009

• "my professor said getting two Master's is costly and I shouldn't do it. She said concentrate on one then go for Doctorate."

What Master's degree are you working on?
    LunasMama

Answer by LunasMama at 12:21 AM on May. 13, 2009

• "Yes but I would personally never do it. I wouldn't double major as an undergrad either because from my experience of people that did, all they did was waste time and money. If you are looking into getting a masters, employers will look at that and not so much what you majored in as undergrad. I graduated with my BA in communications and then started law school. Unless someone only plans on getting a bachelors degree, I think you can pretty much major in something related and it won't make to much of a difference. My s/o has two bachelors degrees. One is in math and the other is in electrical engineering. He felt he had to go back as an undergrad to refresh his skills to gear his career towards EE. He knows now that he wasted a lot of time. He later got his masters and Phd in EE."

I don't think that learning is a waste of time. :) But I understand about it seeming that way if you've got kids to care for and bills to pay.
    LunasMama

Answer by LunasMama at 12:23 AM on May. 13, 2009