I've been feeling really lightheaded, anyone experience this with pregnancy and what did you do?

I've been feeling so lightheaded like I'm going to faint almost all day long, every day since I found out I was pregnant. I also have a headache everyday. Some days are worse and some are better. It doesn't improve when I eat something, and it doesn't improve when I lay down to rest on my side. I'm planning on calling my OB tomorrow, but wanted to do a little research about it tonight.

Anyone else deal with this? What did you diagnose it as? What could you do to help it? I'm 14 weeks. Thanks in advance!

julipickle2

Asked by julipickle2 at 8:04 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I get the headaches due to the increase in hormones, but not the light headedness.. Maybe it could be a sign of High Blood Pressure, or high/low sugar. I would deffinatly call your OB. Good luck with everything.
    atjm0919

Answer by atjm0919 at 8:06 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I felt that way but eating improved those feelings dramatically. I couldn't go more than 2-3 hours TOPS without having a snack of some sort.

The doctor might want to check your blood sugar levels and blood pressure.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:06 PM on May. 12, 2009

• The glucose tolerance test usually isn't done until a little later on in pregnancy, but your OB may consider it when you tell him your symptoms. It sounds like you have high/low blood sugar or even gestational diabetes. Both can usually be managed with diet, but they need to be treated quickly. GD can cause a baby to absorb more fat and can make for a really big baby, sometimes even making a c-section necessary because of their size. I'd talk to my OB right away to make sure it isn't anything serious.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 8:14 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Your right around the time when all the baby books tell you you will experiance some dizzy days. I would definatly call your doctor if this has been happening from day one. How much caffiene did you consume before you got pregnant??? I drank a ton of coffee before we concieved everyday at least half a pot when I found out I was prego I stopped cold turkey and omg I had miserable headaches that would leave me on a couch. Then I started drinking a cup of tea or a can of coke a day and I was cured!!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 8:29 PM on May. 12, 2009

• yes and didn't have anything wrong with me during my pregnancy...it's hormone changes! make sure you drink plenty of water too, at least 1.5 liters a day.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:29 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I haven't been drinking any caffeine because I was nursing my other child and I'm not a big caffeine drinker anyhow (a diet coke every once in a while at a movie or with take out-maybe once every 2 months). I used to get bad caffeine headaches in high school, so I kicked the habit back then.

I also checked my blood pressure yesterday and it was normal. Ugh, I wish there was an easy answer to all this! heh.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 8:33 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I felt weak a lot. They found out that I needed iron, and it helped a LOT.
    Allisonsmommy01

Answer by Allisonsmommy01 at 10:30 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I have the same thing happen to me, its not high blood pressure, its low blood pressure, my OB said that its normal for pregnancy to cause low blood pressure! the time u should be worried is when it gets high, sighns of high blood pressure will be clammy wrists, shortened breath and swelleing in the hands and feet. U may also be dehydrated-drink lots of fluids- but dont stress, u should make an apt deff to confirm the low blood pressure but when they do, be thankful its only that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on May. 13, 2009

• My OB said that it's pretty normal and when you start feeling lightheaded to lay down on your left side. The growing uterus puts pressure on the main vein coming from your legs and causes blood pressure to drop suddenly.

If it's happening a lot you could be having low blood sugar. Call your OB to be on the safe side.
    erika.lyn

Answer by erika.lyn at 10:07 AM on May. 13, 2009