Can you check yourself for dialation?

I heard it is not recommended and others do it all the time...am curious to the responses :)

tjandjenna

Asked by tjandjenna at 8:06 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• http://www.ehow.com/how_4609939_do-cervical-check-dilation-yourself.html

i just found this website that tells you step by step how to check. you can try it if you want just make sure your hands are clean.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:16 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Ummm why would you want to do such a thing? Your fingers would not be the same as the Dr.'s anyway. Ugh.. Seriously, I would recommend you not do that.
    Anonymous

• Am not saying im gonna do it. Want to know if it is true that you can do it or not? I have a dr appt tomorrow he is checking me. Please dont post if you are not going to be helpful please, thanks :)
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 8:11 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Even if you could somehow manage to get to the right spot - how would you know how dilated you are? Unless you are trained to know what you are feeling and what measurement corresponds I wouldn't do it...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:12 PM on May. 12, 2009

• There are ways that you can check yourself but because you dont have medical experience i wouldnt. someone asked this a few days ago try looking back a few pages in the questions and see what they told her.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:13 PM on May. 12, 2009

• why don't you just ask your OB or Midwife to check you. I wouldn't try it.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:27 PM on May. 12, 2009