Working as a Paralegal/Mediator while going to school to become a Lawyer?

Has anyone done it? What was your experience?

SleepyKitten

Asked by SleepyKitten at 8:09 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• yes I did but finally dropped out of law school. Paralegal was fine and great experience toward my ultimate goal.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:14 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yep that's what I do. I started out doing an internship for a family law practice during my last year of undergrad. Then I got a job as a legal secretary and trained to be a paralegal and took the state test and became certified. Once I started law school, I was interested in training to become a mediator for family law. I absolutely hated that job because of all the stress and eventually went back to being a paralegal at a personal injury firm. It's really hard to work and go to law school even if you only work or go to school part time. I found it much easier to work during the summer to gain experience.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:18 PM on May. 12, 2009

• The biggest challenge of law school was finding the time to get everything done. I worked part time during law school and found it very challenging. My former paralegal is now in law school, and found that working full time as a paralegal and going to school part time was too much and quit her job to go to school full time.

Right now our office has a file clerk who is in his second year of law school. He likes having the "no brainer" (his words) job rather than having to think about what he's doing constantly. Working as a file clerk is kind of a mental rest for him while earning money, and he doesn't feel as burned out.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:02 PM on May. 12, 2009