My 10 1/2 month old won't drink anything.........

I took her in this morning and she has an ear infection in one ear as well as a fever, a few sores in her throat and empitigo on her chin. She is eating ok but will not drink anything or even eat a popsicle. She usually loves to take Motrin and I even had to hold her down to squirt that in her mouth!! I am afraid of her getting dehydrated, is it ok to let her go to sleep or should i keep her up to watch her? Any ideas would be greatly helpful. Thanks in advance!

ChristinaDennis

Asked by ChristinaDennis at 8:13 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• even if you have to force her to open up ( gently but firmly) a teaspoon of pedialyte every 2 hors is enough to help prevent dehydration and replenish anything she needs.
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 8:16 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Is she drinking BM or formula?
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• neither
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 8:24 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I agree that anythingis better than nothing. You really don't want her toget dehydrated!!! My son had a double ear infection last week and he wasn't too keen on drinking either .I put ice in his sippy with some pedialyte and he drank some. Enough to hydrate at least!!! Good luck....
    cmansmom701

Answer by cmansmom701 at 8:26 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Maybe you should try mixing some water into her food.

I am also just wondering, if you aren't giving her formula or breastmilk, do you give her cow milk, or what do you feed her so she gets enough nutrition? Not going to bash you or anything actually want to know...
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:34 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Try giving her lots of foods with lots of water in them, like applesauce. Keep trying with the popcicles etc.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:38 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i just stopped nursing her. I am 18 weekds pregnant and my milk has stopped :( I am so sad because it wasn't a gradual stop. She refuses to drink formula even from a sippy cup and she won't do a bottle. So I couldn't think of anything else other than cows milk. She just started drink that a dew weeks ago and she won't drink to much of it.........I gave her chopped up pears from a can so I'm hoping that got her some liquids and she has been eating applesauce. So you think those got her enough to let her sleep all night without worrying about her?
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 8:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

• make sure she is still creating tears and urinating
    if she is not she needs to go to the er for iv fluids
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:46 PM on May. 12, 2009

• just keep pushing the pedialyte and as far as formula, goat's milk is better than cow's milk if you can't get her to drink formula or breastmilk.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:56 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yeah I'm sure my dd wouldn't want to switch to formula if I stoped being able to nurse. I think that it will be fine giving her cow milk she's close to a year. Anyway I think you should be able to let her sleep if it's only been one day of her not drinking normally. Keep a close eye on her tomorrow if she doesn't start improving I would take her in just to be safe. Also watch the number of wet dipers she has if there is a significant decrease I would be worried.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:00 PM on May. 12, 2009