Any penny pinching ideas you know that are pet peeves of yours?

I know someone who reuses paper towels and splits 2ply rolls of t.p and i know someone who works at a hotel and takes soap and shampoos by the box so she doesn't have to spend money i think this is insane.....what do you think and what do you do to save extra cash?

BlendedMommy009

Asked by BlendedMommy009 at 8:13 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• It's funny I do most of those things (except take stuff from a workplace or wash paper plates) and though it might be considered weird it really does save a bundle over time. I'd rather fix or clean something than pay for new. A good quality ziplock bag can be washed and used many times over. I also coupon, shop for loss leaders, mend clothes, shop thrifts. You do what you have to. It's kind of fun to meet the challenge and think of ways to do more with less. If you don't have to, or are not inclined to, that's fine as well. Congrats to twillamson24 on her great shopping trip! I've heard CVS can net deals like that, will have to reconsider my strategies.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 4:55 PM on May. 13, 2009

• My MIL washes and reuses ziploc bags.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:14 PM on May. 12, 2009

• my aunt washes and reuses paper plates, plastic silverware, and disposable cups.
    Anonymous

• My grandmother will wash and re-use styrofoam plates. If you're going to wash a darn plate, why not wash a REAL plate that doesn't leak all over the place the next time you try to use it?
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 8:20 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My grandmother washes her plastic disposable cups in the dishwasher. That drives me insane! lol
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 8:23 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My mom and dad re-use9after washing) those stretchy cover things that you put on bowls and plates with no lids. Drives me nuts!
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 8:25 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I wash and reuse ziplock bags. My x's grandmother used to wash and reuse aluminum foil.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think its petty to care about what other people do to save money. Besides their annoying habits are making an effort to go green and save our planet. What are you guys doing to help? I personally don't use plastic bags, foil etc. but if people are going to use these things why is it a big deal to reduce-reuse-recycle? Good for them and shame on you.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't mind if she was doing it to "save our planet". But, she does it to save money when in reality, using her dishwasher just for a load of disposable cups uses more money than just buying more cups for the next bday party.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 8:39 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't wash clothes until they are truly dirty or smelly. That is the only thing I can think of right now. Your question is making me think of all the things I should do to save money. lol.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 8:50 PM on May. 12, 2009