I was dumb--now what? Dog Question

My 14 y.o. DD begged for a St Bernard. She claimed she had done extensive breed research & knew how to groom them & train them & generally care for them. So, stupidly, I caved & got her an AKC 1 y.o. male St Bernard. In the 6 months she has had him, she has done virtually nothing with this dog. She loves the idea of him but mostly ignores him. She puts him outside in the mornings & leaves him until I let him back in. (She goes to online school so is home all day) She yells at him for simply walking up to her. She never brushes him or trains him. He only knows one command. Basically, I have a 200 lb monster loose in my house. How do I make her start caring about this dog? Do I make her find a new home for him? I am at my wits end with this child & this dog--I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be great but please don't flame me. What's done is done & I just need ideas for moving forward.

funnyface1204

Asked by funnyface1204 at 8:14 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Pets

• How about signing her up for a training class with him? It might help her bond with him. I would also set up a schedule for her, a time for her to walk the dog, play fetch etc. Tell her that this is the schedule and if she doesn't do it, then I would ground her. If you force her to spend time with the dog for 6 months or so and she still isn't showing interest in the dog, then I would find him a new home.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:19 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Threaten to find a new home for the dog unless she starts taking better care of him. Explain to her that her dog deserves better treatment, and that she is the one who needs to provide it for him. If you want to use the guilt approach, look up a poem on the internet called "Master, Why." It would break anyone's heart! Maybe that will convince her that even animals have feelings.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 8:17 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Oh, and if it makes you feel better, I'm dealing with the same thing.. with my husband. I'm the one that wanted the dog, but he's the one that wanted a bigger dog. Now I have a crazy golden retriever, and guess who walks the dog? And plays fetch? And mops about 5 times a week to clean up all the mud she tracks in? Yep, it's me. Unfortunately, I can't ground my husband. : )
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I agree. Tell her the dog needs a better home if she's not going to care for him.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 8:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• LOL, toriandgrace. You can't ground him, but forgetting how to use the stove and the washer might work.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 8:25 PM on May. 12, 2009

• if she is not keeping up with her duties as dog owner and you are doing the work, start charing her money for each time you let the dog back in, you play with it, feed it, walk it etc.
    itsnotaclowncar

Answer by itsnotaclowncar at 1:03 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Getting a "family dog" or a "dog for the kid/s" is a great idea in theory. In actual practice however it means getting a dog that Mom has to take care of. So take over the dog, take him to training classes, YOU will have to do the work, and when you get him tamed and trained, tell everyone in the family, including your daughter, that he is now your dog, and just make like the little red hen about it--"I taught him, I trained him, I fed him, and now he's all MINE" Don't get rid of the dog, it's not his fault he's not been taught to behave. That's like not putting a child in school, and then getting rid of her because she doesn't know how to read.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:33 AM on May. 13, 2009

• i would turn around and sell the dog and keep the money for myself.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:58 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I would just find the dog a new home. It sounds like your poor dog isn't getting the attention that he/she needs. St. Bernards are great dogs (I grew up with them) but they need attention and exercise! Tell your daughter that she can either start taking on the responsibilities of the dog, or you will find the dog a new home.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:30 PM on May. 13, 2009