How can I stop bleeding?

My dog is an Amstaff and has a broken jaw(long story) He also has abroken tooth, and I think it broke more because he is bleeding red blood now and I have tried applying pressure but it isn't helping much. He is having blood clots come out of his mouth, but b/c he is so BIG and strong, I can't hold him down right to get his mouth open to examine the tooth. Is there anything natural anyone knows about that I can give him to get the blood to clot quicker until i can get him to the vet tomorrow? There are no ER vets around here. My poor Gunny bunny is just not doing good with this right now....

mama4Christ361

Asked by mama4Christ361 at 8:17 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Pets

• unless you know where the blood is coming from, you wont be able to stop it by pressure, and i dont know of anything you can give dogs to induce clotting.
    if i were you, id keep him as calm as possible, as the faster his heart beats, the faster it will pump the blood out of his wounds.
    dont let him walk or run around, keep him warm and calm.
    get everything prepared so in the morning you can got directly to the vets, and you wont have to search for anything you may need, like blankets for the back of the car etc.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 8:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• look in the yellow pages
    there must be an animal hosptial around thats where pup needs to go
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Maybe try some flour? That is what I use for my bird.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 8:26 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Thanks so much, I know where its coming from just can't see it to see if it is clotting well. I will try the flour. Anyone else with suggestions PLEASE fell free to chime in! Gunny is a rescue and I love him to death. I found him last week and he had been beaten. i took him to the vets and got him all fixed up then found the owners. they didn't want to pay the bill so I got to keep him if I paid it. So you see why I am just so worried over him. he's been through so much already(esp considering the force necessary to break an Amstaff's jaw)
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 8:30 PM on May. 12, 2009

• You could also go to a pet store and buy some "quick stop" It probably doesn't taste very good but it may work.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 8:39 PM on May. 12, 2009

• omg!! poor dog! how the hell did they break his jaw?
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:04 PM on May. 12, 2009

• HE was beaten by his previous owners. The jerks. He has stopped bleeding and is now chewing on a squeaky toy. Thanks for all the help gals! The flour was what did the trick.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 10:17 PM on May. 12, 2009

• you are sooo sweet for taking him in. why anyone would beat a helpless little puppy is beyond me. i hope he gets well soon. i have a staffordshire terrier too, he's a lovable lapdog, i got him when he was 4 weeks old, they are extra precious when they're that small.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:40 AM on May. 13, 2009

• God bless u for taking him in. You're his angel =) good luck and as for the previous owners. I believe there is a special place in HELL for animal abusers
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:33 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Thanks y'all. He is a sweetheart. I love the put look with none of the danger. He is now fine, and devouring a squeaky toy! LOL It looks like the broken tooth just shifted in his gums and broke a blood clot loose.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 11:48 AM on May. 13, 2009