Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Putting bleach in drinking water?

A woman I know was told on an overseas trip to put bleach in the water in order to drink it. The water at her daycare is sometimes brown b/c of old pipes, rust, or whatever. She told an employee to put a bit of bleach in the water & give it to the children. Is this right? What would you do? I told the employee to boil the water or give them juice or milk.

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Food & Drink

Answers (17)
  • My grandmother always put bleach in our drinking water.
    admckenzie

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:31 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing!! It sounds crazy to me. It clearly says on the bottle " keep out of childrens reach", and if ingested to call the poison control center. Why would you do that????? Bleach is not to drink!!!!1
    WTF is wrong with these people.....sorry, but it say it on the damn bottle!!!!!!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • omg
    i hope your child is not there
    i owuld call licensing IMMIDATLY and have the place shut down for not having sanitary conditions and have her FIERED for trying to poison the poor lil babies!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    mommymeg03

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:40 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • jaw dropWoW....bleach.

    rubipresiosa1

    Answer by rubipresiosa1 at 8:46 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • we put bleach in our well water. It is what the health department here says that we should do to kill bacteria. The bleach itself dissipates....


    Boiling water can kill bacteria but can concentrate minerals and hard metals making it more toxic if it is contaminated with those versus just bacteria.

    VeronicaLee

    Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:52 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • Well...FYI ALL WATER THAT COMES FROM YOUR HOME FAUCET IF YOU HAVE CITY/COUNTY WATER HAS BLEACH IN IT...It's quite alright...we're saying a drop or two not the whole gallon!
    LBAKER032307

    Answer by LBAKER032307 at 8:56 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • PS- you put the bleach directly in the well, not into individual drinking glasses. After you add the appropriate amount of bleach to the well, you wait 6-24 hours before using the water as drinking water.  I believe you can find instructions on the EPA website.


    BTW-for those that cringe at the thought of bleach in water.... what do you think the city water systems have added to them to kill bacteria? Its chlorine.... and what is bleach made of.... chlorine.

    VeronicaLee

    Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:00 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • True, bleach will help the water, but I wouldn't feel good about having a daycare employee putting bleach in water and giving it to MY kids. How do you know how much she used? Too risky.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • I would send bottled water for my kid, and tell them not to give my dd that water. I would never put bleach in my water and we have a well so I know that there isn't any in there. Anyway I saw an ad on tv for bleach saying to use it to sanitize baby bottles and I thought who would do that, but I don't know that's just me I guess
    Liz132

    Answer by Liz132 at 9:08 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • "How do you know how much she used? Too risky."


    That is very true, and I agree with that 100%. Someone that knows what they are doing needs to treat the well itself. In the meantime, bottled water is around $1.00 a gallon.  


    If you call the local health department they will check the water...

    VeronicaLee

    Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:20 PM on May. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN