slimfast...

i started slimfast last week and have already lost a few pounds, my long term is to lose about 40lbs. so i was wondering if i should just stay with slimfast until i reach my goal or should i take a break every now and then? im doing go by having healthy snacks inbetween so its not like im just having the shakes.

jac1908

Asked by jac1908 at 8:29 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes having snacks in between is good. I personally love slim fast and enjoy them for snacks. They are expensive but I definitely think you can have them on a daily basis. It's up to you really, if you like them stick with them. I can't afford them all the time but when I can I have two a day and I'm not even trying to lose weight. They are just a fast tasty snack. Do take a break though to see if they are really helping. See if you can keep the weight off with out them.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 8:34 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Be sure and don't use them as a meal replacement, at least for breakfast an dinner. Your body experiences fasting all nite long and needs protein to build and keep the body running perfectly. So a good choice of protein (egg, meat), starch (bread), and then fruit (ban., apple, applesauce, etc.) and plenty of water.

You could use the slimfast either as a snack, or lunch along with a small selection of raw veggies like celery, radishes, mushrooms, etc., and then water, also.

Then be sure and eat a regular dinner of good quality protein (beef, chicken, fish, etc.), 2 servings of veg., and a fruit. You could skip a starch, b/c your fruit would contain carbs.

Don't forget that when the body plateau's it needs a change up to kick start it, so a diet and or exercise change at that point should do it. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:18 PM on May. 12, 2009

• When you go on a diet, or use a diet aid, you are just putting yourself on the gain/loss rollercoaster; frustrating for you, and really hard on your body. In order to maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    First, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Next, eat your fruits and veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Now, eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat and dairy. Add beans, lentils, and tofu to your diet. Feel free to ask me any questions. You can also go to your local library and take out any book by Dr. McDougall; there is also a free meal plan with recipes on his website: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

Answer by rkoloms at 5:54 AM on May. 13, 2009