Um what?

I've started teaching my 5 yr old about the solar system. About a month ago, I went a couple of websites including NASA's website to get some pintables of planets and other space related things. For the past two weeks, I've been teaching my son about all of the planets. I just went to find more information on the planets and I find information that Pluto is no longer a planet. What? How can it be no longer a planet? I'm shocked that things that I've been taught for years suddenly changes in a blink of an eye. Did you know Pluto is no longer a planet?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14489259/

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 8:35 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• haha yeah my 10 year old cousin just told me this! I was shocked as well things sure do change huh? Guess now we can feel old and say to our kids well when I was growing up there was a planet Pluto.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 8:38 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes, I've heard that...crazy huh???
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:38 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes, I knew. The definition of what it means to be a planet was altered and Pluto no longer fit. It's been that way for about 3 years now but who knows what will change tomorrow!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:38 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yeah, aparantly that happened a few years ago. Don't feel bad, I didn't know until last year when I saw a tee shirt that said "don't worry pluto, I'm not a planet either!"..... If anything....it just makes me feel really really old!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:39 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I did know it, and for some reason, I feel the same way as you. I can't remember the reason behind it, I'd have to read up on it, but yeah, it's weird.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:39 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Isn't that insane? Supposedly it's now classified as a 'dwarf planet', and they've named several more in the same family. What is the world coming to? Math now consists of numbers and letters jumbled together, dissecting frogs is unethical, and now Pluto isn't a planet! I'm going to have a lot of headaches when my kids start going to public school.....
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 8:39 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Don't feel bad, the text books are still catching up. It was get rid of Pluto or add 1000 new planets. If it makes you feel any better, it's still a planet one day a year while it passes over New Mexico and Illinois.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:40 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes, I did know this. The reason it changed was because of a complete technicality in the definition of planet. It doesn't really matter what you call it, it's there and it always will be. I do wonder what they will define Pluto and now though. It's not a star, or a moon. What are we suppose to call it. The big ball of ice at the end of the solar system? lol.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 8:40 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I need to make up a new mnemonic. It was: My Very Elegant Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas. Anyone got any new ideas? LOL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:45 PM on May. 12, 2009

• That's kind of old news.
    Anonymous