No longer wanting to sleep in crib...

My 9 month old daughter has been sleeping in her crib since the night she came home from the hospital. She usually falls asleep on my breast or being rocked and then we lay her in her crib. But, lately every time we lay her down she wakes up and starts screaming. Is this normal? Do you know why all of a sudden she has started doing this?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 9:14 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She could be suffering from seperation anxiety. I'd just let her co-sleep.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:30 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Sorry I'm NOT into co-sleeping. Too scared of rolling over on her and suffocating her.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I am not into co-sleeping either. My dd isalmost 8 months and sleeps in her crib. My suggestion would be to lay her down and pat her back, give her a paci, whatever and stay with her, maybe even the whole night at first. Turn on her mobile or music thing or whatever she likes (mine has an Ocean Wonders Aquarium-a lifesaver!) so she is comfortable and try to get her relaxed. Do you let her CIO? It may take some time, but she'll figure it out. If she cries, come back in and talk, but don't pick her up. You should have to stay in there less time every night.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 9:50 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It is real normal. We had to start putting our kids down BEFORE they were fully asleep to stop this. We did the pat the bottom thing for a few minutes but not long. Eventually they just have to learn to put themselves to sleep. It's tough on the nerves. Hang in there.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:58 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Co-sleeping is not dangerous. I suggest you look it up. I hope you manage not to roll onto the floor. But hey, whatever, let your kid cry themself to sleep because you felt like it.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:56 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I'm not into CIO either. Co-sleeping is dangerous, I know of a couple that hurt their baby very badly from co-sleeping.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:39 AM on May. 13, 2009